Spirituality & Religion

Is Believing in God Like Believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxivrSQXgFc]

Never. God is real of which I am certain for He lives in my heart as well as the hearts of millions upon millions in the world today.

All other so called, 'gods', flying spaghetti monster included, are imaginary by skeptics who don't believe in them in the first place.
FreeSpirit1 · 46-50, F
No, believing in god is comforting to some.
Spaghetti monsters is just pointing out the irrationality of believing in imaginary things.
GodSpeed63 · 61-69, M
[@157515,FreeSpirit1] [quote]Logic[/quote]

That doesn't me tell anything. What's so 'logic' about not believing in the one true God?
FreeSpirit1 · 46-50, F
[@733370,GodSpeed63] It's beyond your comprehension. You believe what you like and be safe.
GodSpeed63 · 61-69, M
[@157515,FreeSpirit1] [quote]It's beyond your comprehension[/quote]

I doubt that. Be safe also.

LadyGrace · Best Comment
The FSM move is merely a sarcastic, unfounded, feeble attempt at poking fun of Christians. Even the creator of this nonsense, Henderson, knows this.

The difference between belief in God and belief in Flying Spaghetti Monsterism is this:

Belief in God is rational, and supported by good reasons, and belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster is irrational and not supported by any good reasons. Bobby Henderson commits a logical fallacy, when he says that there are no good reasons for belief in God. Despite his claim to the contrary, Christianity is rationally defensible. There are difficult questions that we must ask ourselves as Christians, but the fact that there are difficult questions, is not grounds for dismissing Christianity. As believers, our pursuit of answers to our own deep-seated spiritual questions, draws us further into the intellectual richness of the Christian faith.

His premise is false. It is not the case that “there is no evidence for the existence of the Judeo-Christian God.” Mr. Henderson may not [i]accept[/i] the evidence for the existence of the Judeo-Christian God, but he offers nothing by way of demonstrating that the classical and contemporary arguments for God’s existence are false. Even if he adequately refuted several arguments given by theists for the belief in God, he would still not be justified in saying that “there is NO evidence for the existence of God.”

Many arguments have been given for the existence of God. For example, there are cosmological arguments (arguments for a first cause), teleological arguments (arguments for a Grand Designer), moral arguments (arguments for a Moral Lawgiver), and others. Anyone who is serious about the question of God must deal with these arguments charitably and thoroughly before dogmatically rejecting belief in God. To reject the existence of God “because I can’t think of any good reasons to believe in God” is not in keeping with the most influential thinkers in Western civilization. Almost all major philosophers and thinkers have dealt with the existence of God, and most of them accepted some form of belief in a God. A large number of philosophers have argued for their belief in the existence of God.

The argument is not that belief in God is true BECAUSE so many people believe that God exists. Rather, it is simply an irrefutable fact that many brilliant minds have pondered the God question and come to the conclusion that He does, in fact, exist. This fact, while it doesn’t prove that God exists, should prompt us to deal with the question of God’s existence with seriousness and intellectual honesty.
TheWildEcho · 56-60, M
[@417971,LadyGrace] yes I agree totally
Amen 🙏🙏🙏
Since it's atheists who believe in the FSM it's [i]complely[/i] different. It's also "rational".
plungesponge · 36-40, M
What if they are the same being?
TheWildEcho · 56-60, M
I can't take people seriously who go wittering on about that spaghetti monster
MasterLee · 51-55, M
[@737640,ForgottenLore37] then supposedly kills everyone with flood after he supposedly gave them "free will"
Sharon · F
[@580625,QuixoticSoul] It's just an illusion (or delusion). As I said above, if I lose something and call out "Oh Fuck, where is it?" does subsequently finding it prove the Great God Fuck is real? It must do, how else can it be explained?
QuixoticSoul · 36-40, M
[@379861,Sharon] That and most religions contain pretty straightforward guidelines and philosophies on life that often work well for most people - after all, they're part of how we have ran societies for thousands of years. In a similar vein, scientology includes a lot of applied psychology and counseling, which often works - that's why we invented that stuff to begin with.

But none of that makes Xenu real.
Sharon · F
What evidence is there of your preferred god that cannot be attributed to one or more other gods?
BlondeBookworm · 31-35, F
I just cannot take this Flying Spaghetti Monster theory seriously. If there is such a thing, why hasn't anyone caught it and ate it yet? 🤭
Sharon · F
[@1128378,BlondeBookworm] Our Lord FSM is eternal so would just regenerate if any part were eaten. [i]"Pasta la vista"[/i]
TheWildEcho · 56-60, M
[@1128378,BlondeBookworm] whoever caught it probably doesn't like spaghetti lol
ozgirl512 · 26-30, F
[@1128378,BlondeBookworm] like the eucharist, you eat your God, but rather than at church, at good Italian restaurants!
I'd rather be a Pastafarian than a Christian anyday.
Sharon · F
[@485257,Daisy50] I'd be very surprised if an instance of someone recovering from complete brain death were not documented so it's very strange that I can't find any papers on the subject. 🤔 Perhaps you misunderstood what you were told, it's very easy to do in such situations, when you're told a loved one is dying.

Actually, that's something else that's strange. As christians are so sure other christians are going to heaven, they should rejoice when a loved one dies. The separation is only temporary as they'll be together again when they die.
Daisy50 · 51-55, F
[@379861,Sharon] I'm sure it's easier for you to think I'm mistaken.I can't explain what happened besides God.I do not rejoice when a loved one dies as a matter of fact I miss them and am sad.
Sharon · F
[@485257,Daisy50] [quote]I can't explain what happened besides God[/quote]
Maybe not but the doctors should at least have documented the event.

[quote]I do not rejoice when a loved one dies as a matter of fact I miss them and am sad.[/quote]
Why? Don't you believe they're going to heaven? As I said, according to christian mythology the separation is only temporary. Why not concentrate on looking forward to the time you'll meet them again?
ozgirl512 · 26-30, F
The only problem I have with this view is that there are billions of people who believe in a god that is all knowing and loving, who created everyone and everything... But they're all different gods ....
[@516864,ozgirl512] If you don't mind, here is an article in which I address this, if you'd like to read it. https://similarworlds.com/19-Spirituality-Religion/3612822-Do-you-believe-all-paths-lead-to-God-and-heaven

Spirituality & Religion