Spirituality & Religion

Why are christians so desperate to deny those who became Atheists were ever christians?
I used to be a devout christian but, after seriously studying the bible and examining my faith, determined it was all BS. I found the bible to be nothing more that a jumble of myths and superstitions taken from various older belief systems and frequently contradictory. As a result of my studies, I became an Atheist.

Now I find some christians are desperate to deny I was ever a christian. They just can't accept the fact that a christian could ever break away from "the truth" (as they like to call their beliefs) to become an Atheist. The idea is so alien to them they deny it's even possible. They even claim to know what the person experienced better than that person knows. Another claim is that I couldn't have studied the bible "properly" and that I should ask (their) "god" for help. What are they so scared of?
34
|
Quizzical · 41-45, M
The actual truth
Qwerty14 · 26-30, M
If you'd never studied the Bible then how could you have been a devout Christian?
hippyjoe1955 · 61-69, M
[@728593,CookieLuvsBunny] You do know who those guys were right? Too funny that you would cite them as any kind of expert. Now have you heard of the Septuagint?
CookieLuvsBunny · 26-30, F
[@10033,hippyjoe1955]
The Septuagint was written in Greek therefore The Disciples knew Greek.
How stupid are you?
hippyjoe1955 · 61-69, M
[@728593,CookieLuvsBunny] Why was it written in Greek and who used it?
Iliada · 18-21, F
Because it's faith and coming from a devout Christian to an atheist means either your faith weren't strong enough or you never believed in the first place?
suzie1960 · 56-60, F
[@9882,iKnow] [quote]If you have faith it means you still believe, even though you know there are risks it might not be real. [/quote]

Faith means believing, regardless of any and all evidence to the contrary.
newjaninev2 · 51-55, F
[@9882,iKnow] [quote]I don't think you need much knowledge[/quote]

That's my point... pretence is the antithesis of knowledge.
Iliada · 18-21, F
[@342594,suzie1960] That was exactly my point.
[@46009,newjaninev2] What are you trying to say?
WindOfAdolf · 31-35, M
It's funny, cause the Christians are never the loud ones, certainly not here. It's always the atheists that are the agitators.

I think they are just compensating because they are afraid after they've decided to deny the Messiah.
MarkPaul · 22-25, M
[@11034,RebelWolf] Scroll up little man.
WindOfAdolf · 31-35, M
[@8638,MarkPaul] Was?
MarkPaul · 22-25, M
[@11034,RebelWolf] Represent!
Randy777 · 51-55, M
What the fuck?! Who gives a fuck what you think? Shut the fuck up and go live your life you attention seeking little asshole. Your all like "HEY EVERYONE I DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD! PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ME!" Dumb fuck😂😂😂😂😂😂
Harriet03 · 36-40, F
[@45325,GeniUs] It's because she's experienced It!! 🤷‍♀️
ScabbyHeart · 41-45, M
[@887736,Randy777] is gone left SW the COWARD! sure he just changed his name and came back to troll... SW people post their opinions crawl back under the ignorant rock you hatched from...
[@5303,ScabbyHeart]

[quote]is gone left SW[/quote]

Nah, i got his account banned lololol
Unquestioned · 61-69, M
I think they are scared of there being no life after death.
MethDozer · 36-40, M
It's a nice and convenient little tactic that's made possible by the fact ther whole religion centers itself on the virtue of faith. Since the prime virtue and path to truth is all tied up in unwavering faith, they are able to spin doctor the situation as you never actually being Christian because you lack faith. It's clunky and wonky, but it works.
Heretodaygonetomorrow · 22-25, F
I am a Christian, and if I met you in real life I'd just be like, "okay, you do you." For me, my experiences in the past and my own experience with God is what is the foundation of my faith. It is not dependent on another's experience. So yeah, you do you. And I'll keep what's most important to me- my faith :)
Hikingguy · 51-55, M
I couldn’t agree more.[@592805,Heretodaygonetomorrow]
Wraithorn · 46-50, M
I had a similar discussion with a woman on EP who was a Christian preacher in training.
After she learned that I was the son of a pentecostal preacher man and was taught (indoctrinated) with Christianity, she was amazed that I had rejected it.
I told her that I rejected it BECAUSE I learned so much about it.
Interestingly, a short while after that, she was banned for spamming. 🙂
walabby · 61-69, M
[@385840,Wraithorn] Books written by Bart D. Ehrman are an interesting read... He discusses this topic.
Tastyfrzz · 56-60, M
[@1116,walabby] I think he quit the church didn't he?
walabby · 61-69, M
[@391032,Tastyfrzz] Yes, but he is a professor of Bible studies... speaks/writes ancient Greek and Latin and is held in high esteem by his peers...
[image=https://photos1.similarworlds.com/00/00/00/00/01/43/91/20/ZaybGOTHLING-glGKdjLPMuxBpkD.jpg]

Spirituality & Religion

Why are christians so desperate to deny those who ... | Spirituality & Religion | Similar Worlds