Personal, Thoughts & Feelings

Is nude art offensive?

I joined an Art website a long time ago. Obviously, an Art website will contain many various art topics. And the topic of nudity will be involved, for sure. I checked out some of the nude art pictures, and there are quite many comments from the viewer (mostly women) claim that they are feeling offended because of the nudity. And they think that it is a form of sexual harassment or indirectly sexual assault, because, well, the artist was mostly male. Honestly, I really enjoy any kind of art because it is art. And art has no right or wrong. Sadly, this world is now destroying the beauty of the art.

Since when art becomes a kind of offensive of sexual abuse? I feel bad for those male artists though. They just want to express their passion through art, and those people criticize them.

Here is one of the nude art that cause women offended. Let me know what do you think about this?

The name of this artwork is "Lost control".
[@946085,redmaple1] Yup.
Asm0deus · F
If they’re feeling “offended” then good. Art is suppose to make you feel, whether it’s good or bad.
[@516769,Hexes] But then you choose to criticize the artist for involvement in sexual harassment? That's not true.
Asm0deus · F
[@700444,Anna111] I agree with you that isn’t right. I honestly don’t see anything wrong with the piece. I love the details in his hands, very beautiful.
AllyGator · F
Not offensive. Quite tasteful, actually.
Art can't commit sexual abuse. These people are the ones that say the Mona Lisa has cleavage and then color it in with a black marker. Also they sound sexist as they are basing their "comfort" on gender. The art is not going to come to life and assault these people. Shhhesh.
[@406636,causernamebemyusername] Yeah. You're right!
Pfuzylogic · M
It doesn’t feel like pornography to me but I am a male. I can see women not being comfortable with it though.
Art affects us at our deepest emotional levels and who knows what can provoke someone to feel violated.
[@3118,Pfuzylogic] Yes. I believe so.
Pfuzylogic · M
[@700444,Anna111]
You are a very deep person that doesn’t accept things at first glance.
That will serve you well as an adult.
[@3118,Pfuzylogic] Thank you.
BlueMetalChick · 26-30, F
Offensive? No. It's pretty gross and unpleasant but it's not offensive. Like it doesn't upset or anger me. I just think it's ugly.
[@6579,BlueMetalChick] 😬
BlueMetalChick · 26-30, F
[@700444,Anna111] I mean, the human body just isn't that nice to stare at. But then again, that might be the point. Not all artwork is meant to look pretty. Some art is intended to make you feel emotions other than joy or awe. I draw a lot myself and I've done pieces that were meant to convey feelings of revulsion.
DangerDingus · 31-35, M
[@6579,BlueMetalChick] you have a very interesting crown. 🤔 that’s one aspect of you I need to work on with my drawings
Mcmarie90 · 26-30, F
I think it's beautiful and just because beauty can be found in the nude form does not mean it's sexual assault. I fail to see who's being assaulted.
I get offended by modern art, and think it's tasteless. Doesn't mean they should stop making it.
Let the people that enjoy and appreciate art enjoy and appreciate their art.
[@626393,Mcmarie90] True
GJOFJ3 · 61-69, M
I think this is definitely artistic, o don't see how it could be offensive
ozgirl512 · 26-30, F
Sensuous ... Rather nice actually ... And people will always get offended over something... Think about all the stone dicks that have been removed from all those statutes of cherubs in the Vatican
[@516864,ozgirl512] 😞
ozgirl512 · 26-30, F
[@700444,Anna111] :(
SamtheDog · M
Soft core porn titillation!
[@854658,Asificair] Well, a little bit.
ViciDraco · 36-40, M
I guess I can see how more finicky people could consider this an objectification of a woman, but I believe that is a stretch. There are certainly ways to frame nudity in either artistic or objectified manners. But I feel like there are those that are biased too strongly in either direction and don't see room for how someone else might view it differently. If nothing else, the fact that people argue over which category it falls into makes an even stronger case for being art.
Stephcarter · 22-25, F
Beautiful
[@373137,Stephcarter] I know, right!?
JohnnyO · 36-40, M
Beautiful Not Offensive some people need to stop being prudes
[@105699,JohnOlinger] Sad...
JohnnyO · 36-40, M
[@700444,Anna111] indeed
Getting offended these days is like phobias, it doesn't have to make sense. That looks pretty interesting nothing offensive about artists trying to express themselves.
Sicarium · 41-45, M
Some people just want to be offended, they'll find offense anywhere.
[@33564,Sicarium] Snowflakes everywhere!
Asmae · 31-35, F
What site is that?
[@509132,DropsOfPain] It's been a long time, so I don't remember its name. But at least, I saved that picture into my gallery.
So soft and sensual at the same time .
Thank you for sharing with us.
OwnerOfMany · 90-99, M
[@6579,BlueMetalChick] With grammar like "Does nude art offensive"...you could mean that in more than one way. lol
[@6579,BlueMetalChick] Me !! :-O
I think im an open book here .
feel free to ask me anything . :-)

Regards
BlueMetalChick · 26-30, F
[@506031,OwnerOfMany] Lol, fair point.
MrGomco · 31-35, M
In 2019 everything is offensive And everyone get offended easily every day!! 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤯🤣
MrGomco · 31-35, M
[@6579,BlueMetalChick] I don't know, why are you asking that to me? 🤔 I didn't do anything🤷‍♂️
BlueMetalChick · 26-30, F
[@820091,MrGomco] I guess that's true.
MrGomco · 31-35, M
[@6579,BlueMetalChick] to be honest, I don't know 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, i legit don't know anyone that would find that offensive.

But really? "Lost Control" with a guy over a woman? I can see why some people might interpret it in a weird way, not gonna lie.

But honestly, women have worse things to worry about than shitty art. Women are actually being sexually abused and hurt, and that ain't art, lol.
[@700444,Anna111] Sexual abuse and a drawing or whatever this is aren't the same thing. It's just shitty art, and sexual abuse has a pretty strict definition. But I get why people wouldn't exactly see it as tasteful.
[@867153,xiehyue] Art has no certain type of understanding or certain perception. Many people can view many different points of view in just one artwork. Some people think that the artwork is about love and lust, the others think that it is a form of sexually abuses. There is a connection between art and emotion. And it depends on the interaction between them.
[@700444,Anna111] Yep. Which is why I'm saying I get why people might see it in a negative way. I personally don't give a shit.
Skilllickous · 46-50, M
Lost control n lost mind 😍😍
Bluesky52 · 56-60, M
nude artwork or nude can be artfull,too many people has perverted it and ruined it,,,,,,
OwnerOfMany · 90-99, M
Sorry...I can't stand to let it go...

"Does nude art OFFEND" or "IS nude art offensive".
[@506031,OwnerOfMany] Oh, my bad. Does nude art offend?
DwayneLungu · 22-25, M
Nope. It excites me.
JoeXP · 51-55, M
It’s rather erotic, and more provoking than classical nude art. I quite like it though.
cd4259 · 61-69, M
Beautifully said.
this is rather good
Feuerstern · 46-50, M
Nude art does not offend me. Maybe it is because I have posed nude for a female photographer. A complete role reversal.
Lensman2000 · 56-60, M
Art, like poetry, has been defined since Wordsworth as "emotion recollected in tranquility". Many years ago I visited NYC and saw John Waters' "Pink Flamingos" for the first time. It was disgusting, hilarious, and like nothing I'd ever seen before. Watching it, I had a visceral (emotional) reaction. Because of my response to what, I believe, was the director's intention, I consider this art. I'll explain:

On the same trip I visited New York's Museum of Modern Art. There, among many modern masters, I saw a huge orange canvas, apparently painted with a roller (as you would a wall) framed, undoubtedly purchased for a large sum of money and given further legitimacy by being hung with this collection. I was outraged.

Some wealthy dillettante wanting to showcase their hipness to rich friends with the art fad de jour had actually bought this thing. That's fine, but some MOMA curator was stupid enough to hang it beside "real" art!

I thought about that for days...then thought about my reaction to the revolting John Waters film. It was a revelation. If That orange canvas could provoke such a visceral response in me; then it, by definition, was art. The guy who painted that thing left me with an indelible feeling. His ridiculous piece evoked emotion I feel to this day. Wordsworth's sentiment is equally valid applied to erotic creations, as well.

Every gut-churning, disturbing image certainly isn't art. But, taking the artist's intent into account, images, words, performances, (beautiful or disgusting), that elicit a visceral response from the viewer should be seen as legitimate art. If the artist wanted you to be enraptured, if the artist wanted you to get sexually aroused or even recoil screaming; if you felt that: they were successful.
indyjoe · 51-55, M
I agree with Lensman2000's very well put response, but regardless of the artist's intended reaction, there are "artworks" that I do not personally consider art...just trash/garbage no matter what the rest of the world says it is. However...nudity in art does not bother me in the slightest. Isadora Duncan said it best I think, that "the noblest form of art is the nude". I think that can apply to drawing/painting, sculpture, photography, dance, performance, and so on, even if it is erotic in nature. I personally think it can be and often is carried much too far, that "pushing the envelope" pushes it out of the category of art but that is only my personal take on it. I see nothing at all wrong with what you have presented here in your post. it is a sensual, erotic, beautiful piece.
ozgirl512 · 26-30, F
Someone is always going to get offended... They need to grow up
nudydude · 56-60, M
[@516864,ozgirl512] well said

Bare Hugs
Nudy

Personal, Thoughts & Feelings