People actually knowing how to love.

RubySoo · 51-55, F
....conversation!
AbbeyRhode · F
[@329653,RubySoo] Yes! I've always felt that if a lot of the people who hate each other online actually met, they might be friends, or at least agree to disagree. It's much too easy to hate from behind a keyboard.
Northerner · 61-69, M
I would like to see Good manners come back.
AbbeyRhode · F
[@439066,Northerner] True! Too many people never learned basic respect for themselves and others. They walk around acting like spoiled, selfish children.
Northerner · 61-69, M
[@27778,AbbeyRhode] I agree.
Mathis1 · M
[@439066,Northerner] 100 percent
curiosi · 56-60, F
puck61 · 56-60, M
[@423488,curiosi] Well, in all fairness and honesty, I have to say, that I am sometimes not very polite towards proglodytes. I don't lay into them without an invitation though.
curiosi · 56-60, F
[@3557,puck61] That's fine, my intention was that pc go away and return to civility.
Backdoortothesublime · 41-45, M
[@423488,curiosi] Oh Hell yes!
leisure suits!
polyester
rumble seats
DA haircuts
AbbeyRhode · F
[@726345,justanotherdirtyoldman] Lol, those were the days! :)
NenaRussa · 22-25, F
Catalan autonomy
JupiterDreams · 26-30
Commonsense
Human decency
AbbeyRhode · F
[@381079,JupiterDreams] Common sense and kindness, unfortunately not so common any more.
TexChik · F
Integrity, honesty, common decency, and a strong work ethic
TexChik · F
[@1075247,LanceRomance] it was the rule , rather than the exception
[@113373,TexChik] Yeah, it was taught at home and school.
Driver2 · M
[@113373,TexChik] your really pushing the envelope now
Oster1 · M
Civility towards others.
AbbeyRhode · F
[@400392,Oster1] That seems to be the consensus here.
xixgun · M
The news twice a day and no other time.
xixgun · M
[@27778,AbbeyRhode] If all they had, was twice a day; they would actually deliver news because they wouldn't have time for "opining".
AbbeyRhode · F
[@777164,xixgun] Wouldn't that be nice? :)
xixgun · M
[@27778,AbbeyRhode] It sure was
GJOFJ3 · 61-69, M
Go-Go boots
AbbeyRhode · F
[@11768,GJOFJ3] Lol, I had a pair of those!
GJOFJ3 · 61-69, M
[@27778,AbbeyRhode] I bet you looked very hot in them too
AbbeyRhode · F
[@11768,GJOFJ3] ☺️
RogueLoner · M
Ladies and gentlemen.
Being kind to one another
dannyppaul · 56-60, M
Dittos
strictgram · 70-79, C
Strict child discipline.
Kids that actually had respect for their parents and teachers...
Oh and bell bottom blue jeans :-)
strictgram · 70-79, C
[@712464,Sunny57] When poor behavior has no consequences expect poor behavior.
[@396371,strictgram] Exactly...
Disrespectful kids are a product of disrespectful parents:-(
vetguy1991 · 46-50, M
MrsPeterEvans · 26-30, F
Women in skirts and dresses and men in suits or similar
Heartlander · 70-79, M
Rail travel.
Rhodesianman · 56-60, M
The hippie movement , free love , everyone was kinder and gentler then
When I was a little kid, riding with my parents and the car needed gas, they would pull into a [i][b]service[/b][/i] station. And service is what they got. Someone would come out, ask the driver how much gas they wanted, and what kind. And while the gas was pumping, he would wipe the windshield and check the tire pressure, adding some air, if needed. Then, a word of thanks as we departed.

These days, you'll never find it. And if you have to go inside to pay, you're lucky if you get even a smile from the person who takes your money, if they even bother to look at you.
Heartlander · 70-79, M
[@27778,AbbeyRhode] I spent about 9 months in NYC in the early 70s and it was common awareness that this was typical NYC behavior, which extended well into New Jersey and well beyond the city in all directions.

Rude drivers, rude service providers, rude cab drivers, rude everything. Like the definition of a microsecond was the time between the traffic signal turning green and some jerk honking their horn.

All my coworkers there were from the midwest, south or west, and jokes and comments about the NYC rudeness were pretty common. Polite and reasonable behavior was so uncommon there that coworkers would bring it up in casual chitchat. Like "WOW! I went to a coffee shop yesterday and the guy at the counter asked me how I wanted my coffee!", or "The cab driver said 'Thanks' and smiled after I paid him!".

One game that practically everyone played was to wait at a fast food counter until the attendant addressed the customer; with like "what can I get for you?" or "May I help you", or "Can I take your order?", etc. The usual reception, however, was more like "I ain't got all day, what do you want?", or "What, you just standing there?". Once I got waved aside with a hand gesture as he addressed the person behind me with "NEXT!".

I remember a Jersey friend one saying that the rudeness use to be just a NYC thing, and now it's Jersey too. And one day it will be Kansas.
Mathis1 · M
[@176592,PhoenixPhail] great comment... true!
Mathis1 · M
[@66493,Heartlander] Another great comment.... Tragically true. God help us. Makes me so mad I could spit nails.
Driver2 · M
Colleges teaching instead of indoctrinating
AbbeyRhode · F
[@1067315,Driver2] Amen to that! The same "teachers" who wouldn't hesitate to have a kid expelled for the heinous crime of mentioning God, instead fill their heads with political propaganda, hate and violence.
Driver2 · M
[@27778,AbbeyRhode] and they basically have no right to speak unless they agree
AbbeyRhode · F
[@1067315,Driver2] I would hate to have a child in school these days. I'd very likely end up home-schooling.
More kindness than necessary in public
strictgram · 70-79, C
Cane, birch and gallows!
strictgram · 70-79, C
[@439066,Northerner] As long as people have the right to vote they can only blame themselves when they get politicians that don't represent their views.
Northerner · 61-69, M
[@396371,strictgram] I think we have the best of what was on offer.
strictgram · 70-79, C
[@439066,Northerner] Very often a voter must choose the lesser of two evils. I'll grant you that.
strictgram · 70-79, C
being an truthful person
strictgram · 70-79, C
[@396371,strictgram] I didn't post this. [@396371,strictgram]
dale74 · M
People taking care of their parents.
Common sense and the understanding that freedom of speech doesn’t mean insulting
NewKidInTown · 51-55, M
Kindness, tolerance and cherry cola
2Buddies · M
Vast majority of marriages lasting for more than thirty years. Not kidding. And you can add no cheating somewhere in there too.
Speedyman · 70-79, M
Tres13 · 51-55, M
mixed tapes
Hikingguy · 51-55, M
The fact we were waaay nicer to each other back in the day. People just seemed to get along better.
Mathis1 · M
[@127165,Hikingguy] Yes... we used to call that phenomenon, "civilization."
Hikingguy · 51-55, M
Right? Everyone is so quick to throw hateful insults at each other. Sad[@1140499,Mathis1]
jackson55 · M
Political common sense.
Heartlander · 70-79, M
Neighborhoods.
Spacious porches with swings to sit in during the evening after dinner and greeting neighbors as they take an evening stroll.
[@27778,AbbeyRhode] We're living in an age where many of our activities are geared to serve the economic machine. Sitting outside, talking and drinking tea, just doesn't serve the corporate design. Pity.
[@176592,PhoenixPhail] Need more small local businesses and tell some of the corporations to stuff it
[@16806,cherokeepatti] I'm with YOU! 👍
Nimbus · M
Hula hoops.
AbbeyRhode · F
[@1313,Nimbus] *Makes note for Christmas present* 😁
4meAndyou · F
Big family picnics. My family used to gather once a year, sometimes even twice. There were too many to fit in a house, so we would rent a covered table at a local park, and sometimes the municipal swimming pool would be close enough so that the children could run across the field and go swimming.

Everyone brought a covered dish...and we could sample fried chicken, and six different kinds of salads. The uncles would always be there frying hamburgers and hot dogs on the grills, and we children would fight over the last grape nehi in the cooler...😆

I used to love those picnics. But now my family is scattered to the four winds...like the seeds of a dandelion. 😞
Heartlander · 70-79, M
[@387713,4meAndyou]

Lots of baked/roasted poultry .... chicken, duck, turkey, but fried poultry seems to have come on later. Probably because of war when cooking oil and lards were heavily rationed.

What lard was available then was probably hoarded to be used for fried seafood :)
4meAndyou · F
[@66493,Heartlander] My family were all farmers. They had pigs, cattle, and chickens. I remember a story my mother told me, about her mother rendering fat in her oven. She took out the pan, but the hot fat spilled onto her legs and burned her pretty badly. My grandfather apparently knew nothing about burns, because he put butter on them.

By the time I came along, rationing wasn't an issue, and fried chicken was sooo awesome! My grandmother used to use Crisco.
Heartlander · 70-79, M
[@387713,4meAndyou] I think food rationing in the US came to an end within a few years of the end of the war. In Europe and the UK much longer. My dad was a grocer who went through the depression and war years.

I remember the butter on a burn treatment. I believe most of the world once believed that :)
strictgram · 70-79, C
Public executions.
Mathis1 · M
Civil discourse....truly civil discourse.
Mathis1 · M
[@27778,AbbeyRhode] I see our national landscape deteriorating rapidly. I see the deliberate politicization of literally every aspect of life. And with it, I see increasing viciousness and incivility.

The primary and sometimes ONLY tool in some people's mental tool kit is the ad hominem attack. It's absolutely pathetic.

It makes me both mad and sad at the same time. 😑
AbbeyRhode · F
[@1140499,Mathis1] I have thought the same thing. With the pervasive influence of the evil, lying media, we seem to be devolving. The media is infusing a large portion of the population with fear, hate, anger, and prejudice. Their ugly example normalizes personal attacks, name-calling, threats and violence. They need to be held accountable for their lies and support of terroristic behavior.
Mathis1 · M
[@27778,AbbeyRhode] Again, I couldn't agree more. It's distilled evil, and they DO NEED TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE. I believe that one of our VERY BIGGEST PROBLEMS IS THE FACT THAT.... because their evil is increasingly "mainstreamed" .... they are NOT held accountable.
Mathis1 · M
Great question BTW
puck61 · 56-60, M
Respect. Chivalry. Honor. Patriotism. Hard Work. Discipline. Godliness. Two Genders. National autonomy. Manliness and Womanliness. Courage.
.........all that good old John Wayne and John Birch stuff. 🇱🇷
SumKindaMunster · 51-55, M
Only smart, technical people on the internet please.

Used to require effort, some technical skills and patience to get on the internet, find what you were looking for, and finding other smart, like minded people.

Now every mouth breather with a smart phone spews their dumb opinion all over the place...

...back in my day we didn't need no Twitter nor Facebook, and I don't recall noone complaining, consarn it!!!
MichaelT · 36-40, M
Being nice. Respecting women.
Service station attendants filling up vehicles and checking tires, etc and washing windshields
MrWalker · 46-50, M
Respect for elders and good manners.
chockaholic2020 · 56-60, M
Integrity!
dale74 · M
Manners and respect for others people who work hard for what they have and don't just expect everything to be given to them.
therighttothink50 · 51-55, M
Justice and Accountability.
LadyBronte · 56-60, F
Just one? Because it is really hard to decide between common sense, compassion, and respect.