I Am a Meat Eater

Do you sometimes feel guilty eating meat, if so, why?

I could never be a vegetarian or a vegan. I wish I could shiver in disgust the way they do at a steak or burger but I don't.
Bacon and egg.
Sirloin steak.
Roast chicken.
I don't even care if it is plain and without sauce or gravy.

P.S. I think it was a draw between swirlie and CULTure? I ended up blowing the pea out of my whistle.
SweetMae · 61-69, F
No.. I do not feel guilty. I try to buy from local sources.
SweetMae · 61-69, F
[@360493,Pikachu] So far I have avoided that.
Pikachu ·
[@10109,SweetMae]

And indeed you should. So let's not pretend that because something is natural that it is morally correct.
SweetMae · 61-69, F
[@360493,Pikachu] Don't assume we all agree with you or that we are wrong because we don't.
I dont remember the last time I had it and it does gross me out in thought mostly. Not sure I'd feel guilty if I ate it. Sometimes when I can smell it because others around me are eating it I do get cravings. But thinking about the fact that I'm eating literal muscles and cells and fat of another living thing grosses me out too much to
CULTure · 31-35, F
[@998562,SinlessOnslaught] I don't. Plants and animals need each other to survive, it's this way on purpose. If you are bad then the millions of worms, bacteria, plants, animals are also equally terrible.

[b]https://www.english-online.at/biology/food-chain/food-chain.htm[/b]
[@394395,CULTure] True
CastorTroy · 31-35, M
[@998562,SinlessOnslaught] Thought this was interesting.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-whispering-trees-180968084/
IndigoSavage · 18-21, F
Meat is murder
andreafg · 26-30, F
[@858854,IndigoSavage] many things are murder
CastorTroy · 31-35, M
[@858854,IndigoSavage] You are right of course, but animals will never be thought of as sentient beings even though they do have emotions like us. Until this is reasoned on then nothing will change. The meat industry has been around far too long to come to an end now even with vegans protesting against it all.
MarineBob · 56-60, M
YES
I’ve decided I am going to seriously try and change that, but I’m having to slowly phase things out. It’s too hard to quit everything in a day.
CastorTroy · 31-35, M
[@1027980,BananaBrown] It's probably best to do things gradually and get used to cooking differently, although there are meat substitutes. I have tried them but don't like them personally. Especially the bacon!
[@1207627,CastorTroy] I’ve always eaten meat. Growing up, a meal wasn’t a meal unless there was meat included. I love the taste, and I would never talk down to someone for choosing to eat it. For me personally, I am bothered by the idea of killing and eating something that has feeling, community, memory, etc. We didn’t used to know that was true, but now we do.
There are a lot of really tasty dishes that don’t include meat, but it takes awhile to adjust old habits. I’ll get there. 🙂
Rooster · M
I don't eat a lot of meat but those damn lamb chops I BBQed yesterday were mighty good!
Rolexeo · 26-30, M
I didn't kill it and no matter how much I could rally and protest it'll never stop, so no
Rolexeo · 26-30, M
[@1116811,ianon] Yeah, but I have no way to stop it
[@1201398,Rolexeo] you can stop contributing to it but yeah it would take a lot more people to stop it although millions are already vegan or vegetarian
Rolexeo · 26-30, M
[@1116811,ianon] It still wont help. Too many people will still buy
ammelee2 · F
Yes, I don't like that something needs to die for me to stuff my face
[c=004A59]Sometimes, because I care about animals and how they are treated. I tried being vegetarian, but found I didn't feel as well and healthy.[/c]
Never crosses my mind when I’m enjoying a double cheeseburger
[@335573,AlexaSmilez] that's ok because that's not even real meat
[@1116811,ianon] 🙄
Azlotto · M
Never.
Elessar · 26-30, M
I'll choose stuff from small producers who, not only are likely to treat their animal much better than large industries, but also generally sell a higher quality product. Or even better, I used to fish my own dinner when we had a boat.

But aside from that, no. I'll support any stricter regulations towards guaranteeing livable conditions for animals in farms, and I'll gladly switch to synthetic meat when it'll be available, but I'm not planning to embrace veganism/vegetarianism anytime soon.
CastorTroy · 31-35, M
[@44863,Elessar] I agree with you. The treatment of animals in the industry needs to change, why I like free-range or organic.
[@1207627,CastorTroy] [c=004A59]Free range and organic are the only things I will buy.[/c]
andreafg · 26-30, F
Why would you want to be disgusted by meat? it's delicious

But I guess if you really wanted, there may be some psychological trauma you could put yourlsef through to develop disgust for a particular food? That's usually how it happens for other people
CastorTroy · 31-35, M
[@1010156,andreafg] I think it's mainly the treatment of animals for some folk. Some do it for health reasons. I try to buy organic when I can even though it's more expensive.
riseofthemachine · 36-40, M
I do cause I love animals
blackcar · 26-30, M
Lukeman · M
No. I don't eat animals or their byproducts. Never.
CULTure · 31-35, F
No. Would a lion feel guilty for eating a Gazelle? I mean humans are omnivores as a human race but it begs the question, if [b][i]nothing[/i][/b] was ever meant to eat meat and if eating meat were cruel in nature, why did animals evolve to be obligate carnivores?

I mean that's kind of cruel towards lions and other obligates now isn't it. For it to be cruel to eat meat but at the same time need it or otherwise they die. Makes no sense to me.

The only thing that makes me feel a bit guilty is not knowing where my food comes from, if the animal dies quick, I don't feel so guilty but I know in factory farming it isn't like that. So that kind of makes the case for that but other than that, no I don't feel guilt, not anymore than a lion does.
CULTure · 31-35, F
[@998562,SinlessOnslaught] Lol you're welcome. Some people just aren't programmed for it and some people are. I always prefer science over dogma, we evolved to be omnivores for reasons and then there's obligate carnivores. All this just makes sense that not all of us are meant to be vegan, of course you wouldn't know unless you try to experiment or got genetics testing done but you get the idea.
[@394395,CULTure] I'm pretty sure I have low T anyway and I know meat is a good source of that.
CastorTroy · 31-35, M
[@998562,SinlessOnslaught] Apparently, it isn't a necessary part of our diet anymore, it is more through personal choice these days.
melissa001 · F
I do at Thanksgiving. Too many turkey give their lives just because it a Holliday.
melissa001 · F
[@1207627,CastorTroy] they're adorable.
CastorTroy · 31-35, M
[@507791,melissa001] Yes, even female turkeys don't like drunken guys trying to chase them.
melissa001 · F
[@1207627,CastorTroy] 😂
CULTure · 31-35, F
I like surf and turfs... a nice medium rare steak with some creamy shrimp sauce on top and a bit of ghee ☺️
swirlie · 31-35, F
[c=008099]
The problem with eating red meat of any kind, is the proliferation of mad cow disease that's now being found world-wide. In addition to that, the growth hormones that are used in animal meat will remain active long after the animal is dead. When that meat is then consumed, those growth hormones continue in humans what was intended of their purpose in animals. No commercially-fed livestock herd raised in North America is free of growth hormones nor free of antibiotics. Both are given to the animals as a matter of course, whether the animals need it or not. All of that shit then enters your own body when you consume animal meat.

The only time that growth hormones and antibiotics are absent from red meat is if that animal is raised on a certified organic farm and the animal itself is certified organic as a function of it's diet throughout it's lifetime. That pretty much doubles the price of the meat, but what's your health worth?[/c]
swirlie · 31-35, F
[@394395,CULTure]
[c=008099]
It's not about gaslighting the subject of Mad Cow disease CULTure, it's actually about educating those misinformed souls like yourself who simply don't know any better than to solicit conspiracy-based websites for the answers you desire.[/c]
CULTure · 31-35, F
[@332402,swirlie] As the CDC said, the different CJD diseases from prions have different pathological characteristics and that each has a particular genetic profile which means it doesn't all come from red meat.

It is gaslighting because you're telling me that I'm denying these things when anyone can click back and look that I'm not, it's basic manipulation just like your insistence that the CDC, NHS and other authorities are suddenly conspiracies. We both know they're certainly not but again that's not the purpose that gaslighting serves.

[b]EDIT:[/b] I'm glad they blocked me, I really appreciate that the more dishonest types reveal themselves to me and do me a favor.
swirlie · 31-35, F
[@394395,CULTure]
[c=008099]
You are trolling this website! 🐂💨[/c]
Wordlover · 46-50, F
Sometimes. I try to always eat organic, free range, high welfare meat. I never eat cheap meat as the animal would have had a terrible life treated with no respect and pumped full of hormones and antibiotics. Even so, guilt comes sometimes. Am considering a more thoughtful way forward, maybe be a veggie.
I don't feel guilty at all 🍽️🥩
Pikachu ·
Of course i feel guilty.
I'm taking an animal's life unnecessarily.

If you never feel guilty it's because you've never stopped to think about what your actually doing and connecting the meat on your plate with the living creature it came from.
BlueVeins · 18-21, M
If you send me your gmail account, I can send you some recipes. I think what's most important is to think of veganism/reducitarianism as an opportunity to try some crazy new foods instead of having to sacrifice older foods that you adore. 🌺 I'm a picky either in general, don't much like making meat substitutes... except for bacon, I have an omni-approved bacon recipe.
BalmyNites · F
The meat industry has a vast negative impact upon the environment & aside from anything else, red meats are bad for your heart. For these reasons, I’m slowly replacing meals with veggie options - I want to look after this planet for future generations & I’d like to live longer myself 💜
Ladyred · 46-50, F
When did we decide we were too good for everything provided to us? Protein..its a basic nutrient that human beings need to evolve. What did we do grind that shit into powder and add, powdered steroids, because we know better than our bodies..ahhhhhhhhh! giggles(;
Diamonddog · 26-30, M
I'm not anti-meat but I've stopped buying it from supermarkets as they contribute massively to factory farming and animal abuse. Fish is fine with me but recently I've concluded I can't hate abuse and play party to it at the same time.
BalmyNites · F
[@877165,Diamonddog] Totally agree ❤️
basilfawlty89 · 31-35, M
I would if I still ate meat. I haven't eaten meat since 2003.
No, I honestly don’t. I can appreciate the fact that more meat-processing plants are looking towards less cruelty in their methods, but I consider myself an omnivore.
Sirfurryanimal · 61-69, M
Sirfurryanimal · 61-69, M
[@156315,Yulianna] lamb steaks are delicious..😀🐑
Yulianna · 22-25, F
[@356742,Sirfurryanimal] i hope Dolly appreciates you getting your teeth into her...
CastorTroy · 31-35, M
[@356742,Sirfurryanimal] Ahhh ..
babydragon · 22-25, M
I don't feel guilty at all, always buy free-range and organic. although would like to try to hunt for the meat myself as that is the best way of doing it
CastorTroy · 31-35, M
[@881582,babydragon] Yeah, but it's the gutting that needs to be done. Eww.
babydragon · 22-25, M
[@1207627,CastorTroy] extra food, probably a bit more desensitised as been watching a show called mountain men where these guys live in the wilderness and do everything on their own
CastorTroy · 31-35, M
[@881582,babydragon] 🤢
I am a vegetarian. But also if you killed an animal in front of me I would think of it as a crime.
SammyJo · 51-55, F
I never feel guilty as I don't eat them! Simple!

Vegetarian since I was around 16....Vegan every Jan/Feb of every year for the last 6 or so....

SJD x
morrgin · F
I don't feel guilty. I can get grossed out. I like to pretend my meat comes from the store and it wasn't anywhere else before that. I have chickens, cows, and pigs. The idea was to have a working farm that feeds us. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of livestock and poultry as pets. So gross to eat them, but I will buy and eat chicken, beef, and pork from store.
CastorTroy · 31-35, M
[@668319,morrgin] Yes, this is the reality of killing and eating your own livestock. I wouldn't be able to do it either.

I Am a Meat Eater
Food