I Am American Indian

I don't like the term "Indian" for indigenous people of North America. It seems pretty outdated, especially since it's being more properly used to refer to people of Indian descent. I've always preferred to be called Native American or even indigenous. I don't get offended when someone calls me an Indian but I would much rather they didn't.
7
|
river52 · 61-69, M
cool.....I can see that.....
What tribe are you descendent from?
Tulips · F
[@8512,river52] Umpqua and Rogue River.
river52 · 61-69, M
[@461488,Tulips] that is very cool. I enjoy history and ancestry study.
ViciDraco · M
Considering the increasing number of immigrants from India itself, it only grows more confusing to use the old term.
Backwoodsman2 · 70-79, M
In Canada indigenous people are called First Nation,Metis and Inuit. Indian is used mainly in the U.S.
i have seen NDN used by native americans
DarkestDespair · 36-40, M
I always refer to the indigenous people of North America as "Native Americans" rather than "Indians". They were the native people here before all of the colonists from England and Europe came over to slaughter them, defile the land, and force them to live in concentration camps (reservations). They are a proud and noble people, and should be addressed correctly.
Tulips · F
[@687431,DarkestDespair] Thank you.🙂
walabby · 61-69, M
That sounds fair enough. Why should Colombus being lost have to confuse people these days... ?
acpguy · M
You are no more "Native American" than the Pilgrims as Native Americans immigrated from Siberia across a land bridge and possibly some of the Native Americans from South America could have come from Asia or Polynesia. So, in a sense the Vikings and other that came across the Ocean could be described as Native Americans also as they were early immigrants just as your predecessors.
acpguy · M
[@461488,Tulips] You have too much trouble with reading comprehension to have an intelligent conversation with. You are a racist per your statements, you and others have demonstrated that you think supposed "Native Americans" are deserving of special treatment / designation despite not being actual Natives. I have no problem with you or American Indians I do have a problem with racist people however which you and others have shown.
acpguy · M
"Racism: showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another."
If we are all the same then why does some group need to have there original cultural name changed to mean something that is not true and honest? I understand that American Indians are not Asian Indians, however they are not Native Americans as they originate from a nomadic Siberian or Asian group. With this thought they really should be referred to as Nomadic Siberians or Nomadic Northern Asians. People we need to start being honest with our selves and others and stop this liberal bullshit of making things up to appease people.
Tulips · F
[@20049,acpguy] You clearly have some issue here. Look how a big a deal you're making out of this. Outright insulting me and now calling me a racist! And over what, me preferring to be called "Native American" over "American Indian"? Like I said, you can say whatever you want about it but you're not taking my identity from me. I'm sure you'll get over it. That's all I'm saying now. Have a good weekend, or don't.
Mert5356 · 36-40, M
That is the least a person should do in respect to others in regards to nationality. I know for some it goes even deeper though.
lasergraph · 61-69, M
I think we should all be called Americans. We spend a lot of time with labels that don't really help us. In descriptions I tend to use Native Americans. Most people grasp that.
SamHarris · 26-30, M
As I mentioned in another post of yours, I have Cherokee heritage and I'm proud to know that.

I Am American Indian
Categories: Health, Hobbies, Loneliness

I don't like the term "Indian" for ... | I Am American Indian | Similar Worlds