Personal, Thoughts & Feelings

Which web browser do you use?

I use duck duck go.
helenS · 31-35, F
Duck Duck Go is not a web browser.
Elessar · 26-30, M
[@6602,helenS] Plain JavaScript (and more generally the DOM) is actually well supported and has been for a while; frameworks built over it do change frequently, okay, but the foundation has been there for long and is pretty consistent across browsers. I mean, it's no longer IE era (thankfully). Then, if you tell me it's a clustef*ck of a language I agree, but that's a different issue 😁

There are several scenarios in which having no backend is useful. E.g. static site that you can scale up quite easily (and above all, cheaply), and where you can do the processing client side.

Having to (re/)learn JavaScript is a non-issue also; there are not only higher-level languages that transpile to JavaScript - but also, more and more languages that can compile to WASM ([u]https://github.com/appcypher/awesome-wasm-langs[/u]).
helenS · 31-35, F
[@44863,Elessar] Thank you 🌷
Everything I know about Javascript comes from a single book, "Speaking JavaScript", by a certain A. Rauschmeyer, published by O'Reilly of course. The other source that i have used many times is w3schools, they are really good.
All I do with JavaScript is printing some innerHTML if certain conditions are met, and also some regex.
Elessar · 26-30, M
[@6602,helenS] Give a look to jQuery, it's nowhere as complex as learning a full front-end framework yet it can still simplify your job, it's rather easy to integrate with existing codebases as well 😌
Asificair · M
Me too, I'm slowly de-googling.
Asificair · M
[@6602,helenS] ok, well what's you're opinion on mypal and duckduck? 🤔 a realtime informed opinion would be useful.
helenS · 31-35, F
[@854658,Asificair] Sorry but I cannot help you 😑
Never used mypal; Duck Duck Go is a fine meta-search engine.
Asificair · M
[@6602,helenS] I'm being sincere, I'm learning reading the responses to the op. So thanks.
KaliKali · 31-35, F
Duck duck go is a search engine
veeshalgreek · 31-35, M
[@401815,KaliKali] it has a search engine too. I have an app which says duck duck go.

And with it, I browse all the websites. A browser is through which I may browse all the websites as per my thoughts.
Allelse · 31-35, M
[@401815,KaliKali] Yeah but that cookie shit makes me nervous.
Wonderingsoul · 41-45, M
Opera for me
TheSunisout · 56-60, M
I dont know lol
Rose0415 · 31-35, F
Safari on my laptop and Google Chrome on my phone.
[@9416,Northwest] thanks. I have Windows as my OS.
Northwest · M
[@1128378,Rose0415] Google provides a Chrome version for the Mac. I use it instead of Safari.
Northwest · M
[@1192954,MsAlaineEYes] OK, but Safari and Chrome are not operating systems.
OldBrit · 56-60, M
That's not a browser.

That's a search engine.

The browser is the application you use to access the Web not the site already on the web you use to find things
veeshalgreek · 31-35, M
[@464873,OldBrit] can you visit SW and have access to it with a search engine? If yes, then, search engine would be good to me instead of using chrome
OldBrit · 56-60, M
[@518819,veeshalgreek] it's a plug in not the engine. See the quote from their site I've put here. You're still using another browser like if you use ad block on android underneath it is still Chrome for example
basilfawlty89 · 31-35, M
TOR browser for all my illegal activities
basilfawlty89 · 31-35, M
[@6602,helenS] not to my knowledge. And people I know who really require anonymity for political and journalistic reasons use TOR, a VPN and Tails Linux for those purposes.
helenS · 31-35, F
[@23671,basilfawlty89] It was only a joke. Anyway if I were a part of the government and had to monitor illegal activities I would almost certainly hack TOR.
basilfawlty89 · 31-35, M
[@6602,helenS] yeah, but that's notoriously difficult. Not to mention if they use Tails on a flash drive it stores no metadata.
Elessar · 26-30, M
Firefox
Firfox or Tor browser depending on my needs.
Adstar · 51-55, M
FireFox
Beatbox34 · 26-30, M
I use Safari on windows.
[@476293,Beatbox34] Yikes.
Beatbox34 · 26-30, M
[@346344,PicturesOfABetterTomorrow] lol I was kidding. I use edge which is way better than Chrome despite having the same code.
[@476293,Beatbox34] Yeah, I probably would only run that on a virtual machine for kicks. Heck even TenFourFox which is a Firefox port to PowerPC macs have had updates more recent then that.

I am not a fan of Google or MS so both of those get a pass for me.
Northwest · M
I use Google Chrome, primarily due to all the Developer tools it provides.
Quetzalcoatlus · 41-45, M
Majorsite · 61-69, M
Is "Alltheweb" Still out there ?

Personal, Thoughts & Feelings