I Love History

Wife selling - an old English custom that was cheaper than divorce. Usually, but not always, the buyer was known in advance. Now,- I wonder if I can persuade my hubby to move south to England and sell me to a handsome, rich man?
4
12 hrs ago
|
An executioner in one of the little Indian states around the turn of the 19th and 20th century. If there is any fighting, this lad is on my side!
1
12 hrs ago
|
Royal Naval Press Gang; notice the tailor who has been grabbed while a gentleman watches in perfect safety. Women were often at the forefront of resistance to the press, as very few would end up in warships, unless by choice.
3
12 hrs ago
|
A collection of Navigators - the men who dug the inland navigations, or canals, in Britain. The name was transferred to railway labourers and shortened to 'navvies'. The men earned a reputation for drunken violence but many boys viewed th...
1
1 day ago
|
Tay Mills, Dundee. A Mill which once had the longest frontage of any mill in Europe, now student flats for the city's universities.
1
|
Carbet Castle Gatehouse - the lodge of a jute baron's mansion in Dundee- while the ordinary folk lived in single rooms in tenements.
0
|
Nazareth, Israel. Obviously catering for visitors, but the setting itself speaks volumes. I could have remained here for days just for the location.
3
|
The entrance to an Edinburgh Close. Very evocative entry into the past.
3
|
Certificate of handfasting - a sort of semi-legal trial marriage
1
|
An old romantic print of Tantallon Castle, my second favourite (behind Edinburgh) of all Scottish castles.
4
|
Tintern Abbey in South Wales, as mentioned by Willie Wordsworth.
2
|
Calton Jail, Edinburgh, Scotland. Now it's demolished and the site used for government offices, so exchanging one set of scoundrels for another.
11
|
The death mask of David Balfour, a Dundee man who murdered his wife after years of her cheating on him.
5
|
Steamship 'Ferret' - stolen in Glasgow in the 1880s and used in a very audacious operation that saw her picking up cargoes and selling them across the globe, without paying for a thing.
4
|
Royal Marines in Skye, about to put down the crofters who wished to retain their land in the face of landowners encroachments.
4
|
Thomas Moonlight, (1833 - 1899) Scottish born colonel of the 11th Kansas Cavalry, during the US Civil War, later a brigadier, then commander of Fort Laramie, became Governor of Wyoming and then US Ambassador to Bolivia.
6
|
Lightweight poacher's gun, 19th century
8
|
Wild folk, these old time women!
9
|
Aye, dinnae tred on my foot, laddie!
4
|
If in danger or in doot Lean right back, stick in the boot!
3
|

I Love History

I Love History | Similar Worlds