Spirituality & Religion

Do you feel like religious people are unfairly judged?
Many times, people put them all in the same category, based on what they see, hear, or experience. Not all are the same, though. I consider myself religious, but I don't think that I am better than anyone or that I know everything there is to know about the universe and we were created, if you get what I am saying. I hope we can keep this civil 🤷🏻‍♀️.
13
|
Edited: 1 week ago
There is only one judgmental person in this post and they are religious. That says enough.
Nate931 · 26-30, M
[@542305,Miram] So true. 😂 Who comes out with the judgment attitude? The usual suspects.
Tinkles · 26-30, F
Yes, even if you're not terribly religious but have a faith you're still branded as religious
[@1051468,Tinkles] but then they are religious, aren't they?
Dolimyte · 36-40, M
[@1051468,Tinkles] if it's religious faith, I think that's valid
Driver2 · M
Yes especially these days.
Speedyman · 70-79, M
Jesus was crucified.
This message was deleted by the author of the main post.
latinbutterfly · 41-45, F
[@4367,MissGaga] Didn't you just say goodnight? Just can't help yourself, huh? 😂
MissGaga · 26-30, F
[@876949,latinbutterfly] I couldn’t sleep, out of the excitement! I had a lot of fun here tonight 😌
I think there are more judgmental followers than not.

Religion is based around a way of life, a set of “rules” if you must... and it seems to me that grants them a sense of righteousness to judge others who choose to not follow along.

But it’s all the same I guess, considering those religious can’t seem to follow undoubtedly either.

I believe in a higher being. But I prefer to do my own thing.
Bulletproofvest · 90-99, C
[@417971,LadyGrace] Hell is in our minds. People who know that are not afraid of death.
[@1118414,Bulletproofvest] Hell is a very real place, described in detail in the bible. If you don't believe that, that's up to you, but I believe God's Word.
Bulletproofvest · 90-99, C
[@417971,LadyGrace] "God" tells me I'm ok what what I know and also ok with what I still have to learn.

OK?

Judge not lest YOU be judged.
Kiriko · 31-35, F
[c=#359E00]this post will harvest hate to religious people[/c]
Kiriko · 31-35, F
[@18983,EarthlingWise] [c=#359E00]not really, some people speak because they understand. Anyway.. i got enough of this, i leave now[/c]
[@659125,Kiriko] You're welcome.
Sharon · F
[@18983,EarthlingWise] [quote]Most atheists know a lot about religions.[/quote]
That's often why they're Atheists.
Elessar · 22-25, M
I think that historically and even up to these days, it's the religious people those who unfairly judge others the most, usually on the base of their own doctrine that doesn't necessarily have to be shared by everyone.

I haven't seen records of non-religious people burning alive or torturing to death religious people, after accusing them of heresy, just because they didn't share their view, for instance. I don't get how the very same religions that were allowed to do that for centuries haven't been disbanded as of yet (let alone those that still do), when such practices are universally recognized as criminal, both by their believers and all the others. Above all, I don't get how some institution can still have some credibility for most. Or its followers, complain because they receive (usually constructive) criticism.
latinbutterfly · 41-45, F
[@44863,Elessar] Well, if you go back through history, you will find that Christians were persecuted by the Romans at one point:

[quote]Although it is often claimed that Christians were persecuted for their refusal to worship the emperor, general dislike for Christians likely arose from their refusal to worship the gods or take part in sacrifice, which was expected of those living in the Roman Empire.[/quote]

[quote]Christians were first - and horribly - persecuted by the emperor Nero . Christians were first, and horribly, targeted for persecution as a group by the emperor Nero in 64 AD. A colossal fire broke out at Rome, and destroyed much of the city.[/quote]
Elessar · 22-25, M
[@876949,latinbutterfly] Good point. I think they were seen as extremists, and as such treated no different than any other treat to the stability and order of society back then. An approach that repeated countless times in history, even as of recently, especially in regimes. However, we're comparing something that happened locally and sporadically within circa two centuries (I suppose, only after they were thought to have caused some uprest, like in the case of the 64 a.D. fire they were presumed to have started), which ended with ceasing the prosecution, legalizing their religion and even them being recognized as the official religion of the Empire - over something that happened systematically, over the course of almost two millennia, purely for doctrinal reasons, even against people who identified as believers no less.

Also, information we have from back then is heavily revised by almost two millennia of Christian dominance, so I don't know how much of that can be trusted and taken as irrefutable. A lot of Roman literature has survived up to these days thanks to rewritings operated by monks, who could have potentially altered them in the process.
Sharon · F
[@876949,latinbutterfly] [quote]you will find that Christians were persecuted by the Romans at one point:[/quote]
Not quite, the Romans only took action against the rabble rousing christians attempting to cause dessension.
I think many people are actually able to see the different shades of things.
MissGaga · 26-30, F
I think it goes both ways.. Non religious people are also often put in the category of having no morals or ethical standards, just because they don't abide by religious rules. People make assumptions about everyone.
Abstraction · 56-60, M
[@4367,MissGaga] Agree wholeheartedly. Religious people can be incredibly small-minded and judgemental. As a christian I'm constantly dismayed watching it.
fairefoutre · 70-79, M
Only unfairly judged by the ignorant and intellectually challenged. Those unable to discriminate between the religious and the nuts.

Spirituality & Religion

Do you feel like religious people are unfairly jud... | Spirituality & Religion | Similar Worlds