weird that we don't talk about rent when we talk about the student loan crisis

weird because thats where mine and mostly everyone elses loans went to. paying rent.
ScottR · 51-55, M
I guess the government figures you can offset the cost by getting more roommates.
adorbz · 22-25, F
let's feast on landlord steak
NoahB · 26-30, M
[@1027452,adorbz] lets
MarkPaul · 22-25, M
Stop expecting the population at large to bail you out of every adult issue you are forced to confront. And, while we are at it, contain your animosity over having to confront issues. You don't get to waltz through life with no hardships and everything being paid for you. You have to grow up.
NoahB · 26-30, M
[@8638,MarkPaul] lol shut up mark
And can we talk about the hidden costs of being a landlord? Landlords are painted as being greedy and lazy, but there's plumbing and other maintenance. Plus there are mortgages to pay off, because half your tenants aren't making enough money to cover all their bills, and they decided Visa and Mastercard rate higher than the guy putting a literal roof over their heads. Can't go to the bank and say that, because they don't care, but when you evict a non-paying tenant for one with a better credit and rental history, you're the bad guy. And if the landlord loses his building to the bank, tenants are all homeless, anyway.
[@960372,NoahB] I'd be happy to sell you a house. I fully intend to sell all the houses we own, just as soon as that decision is mine. You have no idea of the headache of maintaining them all. It's insane.

But yes, again, you only have a problem with the concept of paying somebody else's bills when you're paying for literally anything else but a house.

I suppose you think rent should be free, you shouldn't have to pay for repair work to the house as it ages, and you shouldn't have to pay utilities. And what is the owner supposed to do? Take out three jobs to pay for what you refuse to touch?
NoahB · 26-30, M
[@1201381,ShadowfireTheSarcastic] i do think rent should be free. i'm not saying YOU should personally make your properties free to rent. i don't really care do what you want. But I think there should always be a place a person can live in should they ever become unfortunately homeless. Personally i think the gov should buy up a bunch of the properties developers sit on and leave empty. Theres enough of that to go around.
[@960372,NoahB] So you want more homeless shelters, and you want those shelters to be of better quality. I agree. But these developers you're complaining about? Homebuilders? They (we) can't afford to sell low. That's why the houses sit empty.

But yeah, I would sell to a housing program to the homeless in a heartbeat.
Quetzalcoatlus · 41-45, M
So then landlords should be subsidized in order to let you live rent free?
[@960372,NoahB] So what's the plan to replace the system with a more equitable one?
QuixoticSoul · 36-40, M
[@1201381,ShadowfireTheSarcastic] The wealthier the landlord, the less likely they are to give their tenants a break lmao.

It’s easier to subsidize tuition and materials - then rent is the only thing students have to worry about. There are way less schools in this country than landlords - way less of a mess.
[@580625,QuixoticSoul] All I know is my property, my headache, my rent.
Northwest · M
Are you a student with student debt, or are you in the workforce and cannot find work, so you cannot afford to pay your rent?
NoahB · 26-30, M
[@9416,Northwest] yes, no, no.
Northwest · M
[@960372,NoahB] https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/coronavirus/assistance-for-state-local-and-tribal-governments/emergency-rental-assistance-program
NoahB · 26-30, M
[@9416,Northwest] ooo excellent resource. i'll pass this along
Graylight · 46-50, F
Because higher education fuels the technological, scientific, medical and creative advances of this nation. Many benefit from the sake of one education.

Rent is the cost of staying put. We all pay it one way or the other.
Asificair · M
agreed, books can be a money pit too, especially tech books
basilfawlty89 · 31-35, M
Because housing is a right and landlords are stealing the wealth of the proletariat. We are the ones who produce and they earn through their landed theft.
basilfawlty89 · 31-35, M
[@1201381,ShadowfireTheSarcastic] your landlord owes a basic right. Housing is a basic right. Would you charge for oxygen usage?
[@23671,basilfawlty89] I don't owe you a goddamn thing for living on my property. I have house payments to make to the bank. If you want to live in a house that I own, you'd better be giving me money. If not, go somewhere else. Because if I can't make my payment to the bank because you think I owe you free housing, then they're going to take the house away from both of us.
[@23671,basilfawlty89] Besides, that is a faulty analogy. If I deprive you of oxygen, you will be dead within seconds. If I tell you you can't live on a house I own because you don't have the necessary $2,000 a month plus utilities, you'll just go find a cheaper place to live.
I guess cause people just talk about rent in general.
LvChris · 41-45, M
Power, water, internet, housing, etc should not be open to speculators. Additionally, it takes a certain type of psycho to not care about others in that way.
MotherHubbard · 56-60, F
It's weird that rent is normal but public housing isn't. It's fascist.
QuixoticSoul · 36-40, M
[@1201381,ShadowfireTheSarcastic] We as a country can afford it. We just don’t want to.
[@580625,QuixoticSoul] The landlords in this country fall into two categories: the nice ones who would totally offer free housing if they could afford it, and the people who absolutely refuse to run a charity. The nice ones are always broke. Guess why.
MotherHubbard · 56-60, F
[@1201381,ShadowfireTheSarcastic] housing? Or bank approved expensive housing? I think we get bull dozed away when we put up housing.