Asking
Only logged in members can reply and interact with the post.
Join SimilarWorlds for FREE »

Would it concern you if you’re partner had no friends?

My wife has kind of slowly driven away most of her friends. She’s been kind of rude to them on several occasions and I’ve noticed that they don’t really want to hang out/meet up with her anymore.
Top | New | Old
BeesAndTrees · 41-45, F
Some very thoughtful comments here.

Yes, communication, discuss it with an approach that is curious and open, so that she doesn't get defensive or feel attacked. Maybe a "Hi honey [or insert pet name?], I haven't seen [insert name] hanging out with you lately and wondering if you'd like to talk about it?"
I mean that's a very mediocre example, so make it your own.

Also mention in the talk if it affects you?

I was with someone I love immensely and became his everything. And when most of his friends and family left him, or he angrily cut them off, I was there for him. The pressure of being friend, lover, confidant, planner, manager, therapist, and emotional crutch was intense, but I handled it.

I encouraged him to join a group, find a book club, a therapist, a men's support group, a Meet Up, re-join sports, etc. but he always had a reason to shoot all ideas down.


(yes, "love," present tense as my love for this being did not die, just changed)
JovialMoose · 51-55, M
Absolutely. I will tell you that this has been a long marriage and that is part of it.
MellyMel22 · F
That happened w/my children’s father more and more as years went by. I knew it was just b/c he’s a very angry person and they finally started seeing some of it themselves. People can really fool others. My brother used to think I was the mean one not knowing I was responding to what he only allowed me to hear. Then on vacation one day my brother and his friends on the open second floor heard him say stuff not realizing everyone could hear. Eventually their true self shows to many and people start avoiding them.

I’m sure she isn’t anywhere as bad as him though!
Strongtea · 22-25, M
Hey, sorry you had to go through that, that sounds like you had lots to deal with.
She’s not horrible I don’t think (I love her lol!) She is just one of those people who says whatever is on her mind and I think she can be a bit much for people. @MellyMel22
MellyMel22 · F
@Strongtea I didn’t think she was! Just saying when people start seeing those behaviors towards them or others, I think they start avoiding them for the most part. Sometimes it can take years to see or never even if the attitude isn’t directly towards them.
GuyWithOpinions · 31-35, M
Maybe shes changing and going through a transitional period. Maybe shes gaining different interests the would be better suited to a different group of people.

Rather than judge her, ask her about it.

If she is your girlfriend you can support her in her growth or let her do it on her own.

Communication...
Strongtea · 22-25, M
Ok, yes. Good point. Thanks@GuyWithOpinions
RachelLia2003 · 22-25, F
dont u go to a church or somethin? there are always ppl at church
Strongtea · 22-25, M
Yes, she does have some people at church that she talks to. I suppose you’re right. @RachelLia2003
RachelLia2003 · 22-25, F
@Strongtea im always right😌

Strongtea · 22-25, M
GoFish ·
well can you blame them?
Strongtea · 22-25, M
Ok, yes I get you, but she can be a nice person. It’s just really humiliating, we bump into them around town and they haven’t invited her. @GoFish
GoFish ·
@Strongtea she should have been nicer to them if she wanted to remain friends you know? have you talked to her about how she is treating people?
Frostcloud · F
if i met a guy and he had zero friends i would be very aware of that. it wouldn't exactly stop me from getting to know him and maybe dating him but i would be trying to figure out why. sometimes people just struggle to make friends or lose them and it's sincerely not their fault. but uhhhh.. yeah it's okay to try to dig a little bit and figure out of they're not treating their friends well or if they have some negative traits that other people try to dodge

if he has a good chunk of friends and none of them are women that's lowkey a bigger red flag to me

 
Post Comment