I Am Afraid of Rejection

I hate to admit it, but I think one thing fueling my emptiness is that I feared rejection and let that fear rule me. Like a comedian alone on stage who is bombing, I treat each interaction I have with life-and-death precision. And, when I don't make the connection with the other person (which is often), the rejection occupies my mind for days. When it finally leaves me, it leaves behind the sadness it was feeding off of so that I feel deficient and hopeless.

One thing I am starting to come to terms with though is, I can survive rejection. Like that comedian I left on stage, it actually can make me less vulnerable (over time) if I use it as an experience to move on from.
10
|
JaggedLittlePill · 41-45, F
You said this so perfectly...much better than I. I understand this well.
MarkPaul · 22-25, M
Thanks... it's something I have been thinking a lot about lately. I don't know... maybe we are just over-sensitive, but it does really hurt. For me, my normal routine is to deny it hurts (you know... male ego), but repressing all those feelings is really not doing me any good.
Dude, one thing i learn about rejection is that you cant expect a person to say yes on going out, is better to know them at first, show them to have a good time. You gotta be positive, im not afraid of being rejected, cause i take my time, if it work cool, if not, plenty fish in the sea.
MarkPaul · 22-25, M
Yeah Casper... that makes sense, but how do I just let the fear go... I try to be positive and I don't want to sound like a cry-baby, but... well... I mean... it hurts and how many times can I keep rationalizing... "well, there are plenty of fish in the sea?"
By not thinking about it, just tell yourself that its a friendly hangout. And one thing my friends keep telling me, Focus on yourself, someone will realise that you are working for the better. It better you notice yourself before some else tell you to.
j0s3c4rlo5 · 31-35, M
I am afraid of the term "plenty of fish in the sea" because is still really rare to find a soulmate
MarkPaul · 22-25, M
I agree Jose... in fact, I am coming to believe it may not be possible. The thing is, it seems like it COULD be possible that if the timing is right with the right attitude and sense of openness, then maybe something like a soulmate COULD happen. So far, it has not EVER happened for me, so I doubt I even know what I am talking about though. I could just be fooling myself. But, Casper does seem to hit on something... maybe it's mostly a matter of not taking it so seriously.
Btw i will say this, if i ask any girl i will get rejected, no doubt about it, it about time and space. (Learn that the hard way) but you gotta remember one thing, never let a girl grab the check and always be a gentleman.
Most importantly, BE YOURSELF.
MarkPaul · 22-25, M
That's good advice Casper. And, good words to live by.
Well i had some tips from couples that are my friends. So hope it help.

I Am Afraid of Rejection
Categories: Health, Loneliness

I hate to admit it, but I think one thing fueling ... | I Am Afraid of Rejection | Similar Worlds