Spirituality & Religion

If you don't believe in the God of the Bible, what would it take for you to believe?
3
|
Dolimyte · 36-40, M
Convincing evidence
MissPriscillaPrim · 61-69, T
[@812348,ms20182878] It's important to realize the mental hoops the faithful will jump through, some far more preposterous than those, to rationalize the loonier passages in that big bible slush-pile, e.g. Psycho pSaul's advice to treat those who hate you to kindness for the incredibly nasty, entirely un-Christlike passive-agressive reason that "you'll heap burning coals on their heads that way." I once heard some wacko theory he was referring to some penitents recorded somewhere who carried coals on their heads... with no evidence that pSaul knew anything about them, nor any explanation how these two thoughts are related. Just, y'know, he couldn't be a violent, sociopathic lunatic (despite the fact that's exactly what pSaul was before his life-changing heat-stroke Jesus-hallucination.) After the gospel news about Jesus's execution for preaching that religious hatred and judgemental pride is heretical error, I can sum up the remainder of the bible as saying: "See how badly this religious stuff can mess you up? Just love your neighbor."
But I'll say again, while I'm reporting my belief system and joining others in pointing out the weaknesses in a common traditional one, I am not at all interested in converting any who humbly love and serve the god they find in the bible... as long as they don't use it to abuse other people's lives.
MissPriscillaPrim · 61-69, T
[@812348,ms20182878] Hating the gays is only one out of several interpretations of pSaul's rant about some who give themselves up to unnatural lusts. There are some devout Christians in this big ol' world who read a pro-gay message in pSaul's rant about men making themselves eunuchs for the sake of the god of Truth. But of course that reading is wrong and yours is right, because... because... well, no one can find a "because."
MissPriscillaPrim · 61-69, T
[@812348,ms20182878] "He is probably not very pleased."
Because you thought to write "probably," I would defend your freedom to hold such an opinion, and admire your humble devotion to a traditional faith. But today there's a deadly mental plague, caused by fake-religious political leaders all around the world, who have led masses of ignorant frightened humans by their faithful noses into detesting masses of other humans because they imagine it's a KNOWN FACT that The One True God hates [fill in the blank].
One of them is a goddamn GENERAL in the US Air Force, on record as saying of Muslims: "We're fighting them because our god is bigger than their god."
Elephant · M
Me to go through Hell like the bible describes
MissPriscillaPrim · 61-69, T
[@812348,ms20182878] Appreciate your thoughtful analysis, and though I don't agree with it all, this does nothing to diminish my new-found respect for you. I should have started with less hostility, but y'know, the social environment of this website kinda corrodes my patience at times.
ms20182878 · 56-60, M
[@268346,MissPriscillaPrim] Thank you SO MUCH for your humble response! Thank you, My Friend!
MissPriscillaPrim · 61-69, T
[@812348,ms20182878] Don't overdo it.
pentacorn · F
shhh...
hippyjoe1955 · 61-69, M
As a former atheist it was Yahweh (The God of the Bible) opening my eyes. I can not say that I was ever convinced by anything said or written or head or read.
MissPriscillaPrim · 61-69, T
[@10033,hippyjoe1955] Believe me, we can all see you have learned nothing from anything else you ever head or read... deadhead.
hippyjoe1955 · 61-69, M
[@268346,MissPriscillaPrim] you have a point there. If you come your hair right no one will notice.
MissPriscillaPrim · 61-69, T
[@10033,hippyjoe1955] ... "come-your come-your hair doo bedoo dum dum..."
Mrsbetweenfatandfit · 22-25, F
I suppose that comfort & connection that those I’ve know who believe have told me they received.
ms20182878 · 56-60, M
[@455213,betweenfatandfit] He tells us to seek after Him, and He will make His face shown to us. I'm so glad to hear that you have seen the evidence of the God of the Bible in the lives of others... Ask them how you too can know Him. And, if you have no one whom you feel comfortable asking... Ask me, either here or by PM.
This message was deleted.
Actual proof.
ms20182878 · 56-60, M
[@268346,MissPriscillaPrim] Yes, I understand the definition of "proof". The difficulty is that we live in a culture of relative truth... so many people believe that they can define what is true for them and what is not true... and that can be different from what is true/not true for someone else. I have been trying to work around this problem by asking people what their criteria is... but it seems that no one likes to share the details of their criteria, they want to keep their criteria very general. When the criteria for proving truth is too general, the proof decision (true/false) becomes very subjective.
MissPriscillaPrim · 61-69, T
[@812348,ms20182878] I use this sort of web forum strictly for entertainment, enjoying the gamut of written behavior from communally sharing to abusive, from healthy advice to raving nonsense. (And I've contributed to all styles, I admit.) I trust we all know the last thing that's going to happen is a fundamental change of anyone's opinions here.
ms20182878 · 56-60, M
[@268346,MissPriscillaPrim] 🙂
Emosaur · 18-21, M
Clear, undeniable, scientific evidence.
MissPriscillaPrim · 61-69, T
[@812348,ms20182878] My point is, seek answers elsewhere if interested.
suzie1960 · 56-60, F
[@812348,ms20182878] [quote]Can I ask how you determined that a belief in the God of the Bible was obligatory in those times? [/quote]
I said it was [b]almost[/b] obligatory. The church exercised great power in those days. People in the West were expected to be christian. Even now there is something of a presumption that a white European is christian unless he or she emphatically states otherwise.
ArishMell · 61-69, M
[@342594,suzie1960] The authority of the church was often also backed by strong social conformity.
suzie1960 · 56-60, F
Real, independently verifiable, evidence like scientific theories are based on.
suzie1960 · 56-60, F
[@812348,ms20182878] As there are scientific theories that I accept, it's clear those criteria are met.
ms20182878 · 56-60, M
[@342594,suzie1960] Yes, I understand. But for most of us, the "criteria" becomes... do I believe it... or not. Our criteria isn't very definable and it changes with the situation.
suzie1960 · 56-60, F
[@812348,ms20182878] Speak for yourself. The criterion for a scientific theory is basically whether it consistently and repeatedly explains the observed facts and is falsifiable.
If he speaks to me and shows me he's real through a specific act, magic/miracle.

None of this "god works in mysterious ways" bullshit. The bible is too obviously human to be convincing of anything and it offers no evidence of its validity over any other creation myth or religion.

So if god wants me to come to him then he'll show me he's real. He's god, if he wants to then he can.
ms20182878 · 56-60, M
[@23671,basilfawlty89] Yes, I know. But the question is: Do the texts that were removed alter who God is and His message of salvation and restoration for us? Or not?
MissPriscillaPrim · 61-69, T
[@360493,Pikachu] [quote]Pay attention, joe.[/quote] (I fall to my knees, adoring Pikachu's devout belief that miracles will happen)
suzie1960 · 56-60, F
[@812348,ms20182878] If pieces have been added or taken away without a clear reason, the whole thing become unreliable. Also, if it's altered by anyone other than "god" (whatever that means) it cannot be said the be "god's word".
whowasthatmaskedman · 61-69, M
Lets keep it simple. Stop the evil in the world. Now, completely.
ms20182878 · 56-60, M
[@621893,whowasthatmaskedman] The phrase "for that day or hour, no one knows" was commonly used in reference to the first day of each month, when the watchmen on the corner of the temple were watching for that first sliver of a new moon to denote the first day of the month. So, in the culture, that phrase is connected with the first day of the month.

When you pick a single verse, it is easy to miss the context. In one of Paul's letter he continues on and says something like "But you are not ignorant, you know the signs". So it is always good to read the context around the verse in question.
whowasthatmaskedman · 61-69, M
[@812348,ms20182878] I knew I should have added that bit about the devil siting scripture for his own purposes. Look. There are just too many reasons why predictions of the future based on the bible are (and I struggle not to be insulting here) impossible. From the source scrolls. (most of which never made it into the original version. Did you know there are in fact over 70 commandments?) To the repeated editing in translations and updatings. (which wrote a Goddess out completely.) Its a fair old story. But so is Grimms fairytales and Aesops Fables. And I wont be predicting the end of days on them either. If your God was around, I think he would be holding his nose and getting ready to flush earth down the celestial crapper. And if thats the case. not much I can do will change it. But if this is his creation I see no reason to hope for better from heaven and am happy I wont be seeing it one way or another.
I think we are done here.😉
MissPriscillaPrim · 61-69, T
[@621893,whowasthatmaskedman] It's a truly nasty Christian heresy that's got a stranglehold on American society now, led by our Federal Christo-Taliban. Too many seem to abuse the bible for just two purposes: learning whom to hate, and finding links between obscure bible verses and the news headlines. Charity, humility? Zilch.
But NOT ALL Christians are in that camp, not even in the US. Just the loudest fragment.

Spirituality & Religion

If you don't believe in the God of the Bible,... | Spirituality & Religion | Similar Worlds