Can "free speech" be limited by ideology?
Should communists, jihadists, and white supremacists have free speech? To what extent?

If they're not threatening people or advocating for violence, is their speech protected?
1
|
Edited: 6 mths ago
33person · 22-25, M
They should be allowed to make arguments for their positions, but all threats of violence and attempts to organize violence should be taken seriously
QuixoticSoul · 36-40, M
Yes, as long as they aren’t calling for violence.

But the rest of us should mock them mercilessly.
QUINN221 · 26-30, M
[@580625,QuixoticSoul] Agreed.
Sicarium · 41-45, M
Yes, they should have free speech, right up until the point where they're calling for direct violence, just like everyone else.
Just dont yell theatre in a crowded firehouse
Overwatch6 · 41-45, M
Unless they hold office and a position of leadership.

You want free speech ? Don't run or take the oath.
Asificair · M
You say communists like its terrorism and it's not. Certainly extremes need to be debated so the freedom must be inclusive. And certainly there is a time and place for everything. If an ideology provides the time and place all is good.
Sicarium · 41-45, M
[@854658,Asificair] No.
Asificair · M
[@33564,Sicarium] you're behaving like a hormonal teen, convoluting my words, making false presumptions and personal attacks. The dogma is clear, your belief drives your perception. I refuse to comment further it's simply a waste of time. I knew from your other discussions with users and should have ignored your unwanted input on my comment. Hey oh.
Sicarium · 41-45, M
[@854658,Asificair] Nah, you're just projecting now. But that's exactly what you would do since you're a propagandist, dishonest, and an extremist.

Run away now.
MalteseFalconPunch · 31-35, M
Hell no that isn't really free, is it?
reflectingmonkey · 46-50, M
although it might seem counterintuitive I believe that only free speech can prevent the spreading of destructive and regressive ideologies while trying to censor them forces them into the shadow where they develop amongst its believers, unchecked and without constructive criticism. a funny example would be the KKK. once feared because they gathered in secret and developed into a myth surrounding their power and influence, the KKK lost its feathers when they started getting invited to talk shows on TV and looked completely ridiculous. in this way, when I personally have a debate or argument with someone, I let them speak first and make sure they have put all their arguments on the table, then I proceed to expose and dissolve all their arguments one by one until nothing is left. either that or I find myself unable to do so which means I might have to reconsider what I think in the light of new information. in respectful confrontation of ideas the more solid and sound ideas will be the ones to survive.
Speedyman · 70-79, M
We are now getting to the stage where even at universities which should be bastions of free speech, certain speakers are not allowed as they are not politically correct enough and might challenge the students to think. I mean, if people like Germaine Greere can be banned because her opinions are not politically correct enough, what hope is there for the rest of us?
QuixoticSoul · 36-40, M
[@33564,Sicarium] Most of those are pretty narrow. Sweezy was faculty and the interference came from the state. The rest were at public universities (and really public, not like the University of California system - but actually owned and administered by the state) and used the role of the state as basis of the first amendment argument.

But that made for interesting reading, and was good info, thanks.
Sicarium · 41-45, M
[@580625,QuixoticSoul] Sweezy was a guest lecturer.

And yes, there's a difference between state-funded and private. Truly private universities can be more self-regulated.
Speedyman · 70-79, M
Some of us do remember the time when universities were bastions of free speech for everybody[@580625,QuixoticSoul]
Goralski · 46-50, M
Of course it is

Can "free speech" be limited by ideology... | Politics | Similar Worlds