Update
Only logged in members can reply and interact with the post.
Join SimilarWorlds for FREE »

Maine education chief told state's schools to ignore Trump's executive orders

Emails show Maine Department of Education Commissioner Pender Makin writing memos for all the state's school districts after President Donald Trump began to make executive orders addressing public education.

"Dear Champions of Education, as executive orders continue to flow out of DC, there is increasing misinformation, disinformation, and confusion impacting our schools," read Makin's draft of a memo for all the state's superintendents, in a Jan. 28 email, which was provided to Fox News Digital by the group Defending Education.

"Last week, we advised schools to adhere to the Maine Human Rights Act and your local school board policies related to nondiscrimination. We encourage you to continue to keep all people safe and we reiterate the fact that, at present, neither our state law nor your local policies are diminished by the executive orders directing action at the federal level."

It continued, "Most of the executive orders pertain to federal agencies and federal laws over which Maine DOE has no authority."

Two days later, Makin corresponded with Maine Assistant Attorney General Sarah Forster, with a draft of a memo to schools. The memo included orders to avoid complying with Trump's "Ending Radical Indoctrination in K-12 Schooling," executive order.

"… this EO changes nothing for Maine schools," part of an email discussing the memo wrote. The memo draft said "Maine schools should continue to follow the laws of our state and the provisions within their local policies."

In Makin's email, she suggested cutting paragraphs from the memo that summarized the actual goals of the executive order out of the memo.

Then, in a Jan. 31 email, Makin drafted another memo to superintendents and school leaders addressing the executive order.

"The Executive Order does not alter the obligations of schools under state law, including the Maine Human Rights Act, and does not require any immediate changes to locally adopted school board policies," the memo read.

By defying Trump's "Keeping Men Out of Women's Sports" executive order after it was signed on Feb. 5, the state allowed its winter girls' track and field season to conclude with an infamous podium finish.

A transgender athlete from Greely High school won first place in the girls' pole vault state championship on Feb. 17.



Makes one wonder why Maine hates women, does it not....
Top | New | Old
AthrillatheHunt · 51-55, M
Most of the woman there look like men anyway . That’s what my buddy in Brunswick says
BohoBabe · M
@AthrillatheHunt My take is that the Right shouldn't say trans women are men because right-wing women look like men.
This comment is hidden. Show Comment
Cut. Funding. To. Maine.
AthrillatheHunt · 51-55, M
@BrandNewMan have another scotch Ron! Lol
This comment is hidden. Show Comment
AthrillatheHunt · 51-55, M
@Kwek00 I have no idea what he typically posts . How’s your summer going
Kwek00 · 41-45, M
@AthrillatheHunt Summer is going great... it's okay for the moment. I hope yours is going well too.
AthrillatheHunt · 51-55, M
@Kwek00 same bro!
BohoBabe · M

 
Post Comment