Only logged in members can reply and interact with the post.
Join Similar Worlds today »

If I bought a very expensive house for my father, should I ensure that if anything happens to him the house will return to me?

Id like to gift my father a house. My father is married to my stepmother and they have two children. Throughout the years my step mother has never treated me well. When I try to have a relationship with my siblings Im blocked or given a lot of difficulty. If I do not say anything it is very likely that my father would leave the house to his wife and children. And they will of reaped the benefits from a person they did not treat fairly. Should I just ignore this or ensure the house is returned to me?
P.S. I would not kick them out or anything. They just would not be able to sell it and get money from me.
8Rockhead8 · 51-55, M
Do it for Dad, just make sure property is in your name. Also, everyone is aware it's yours and they are living there only. If something happens to Dad, they are out, and it's the step mom to blame.
But when the siblings are of age (if not sooner), reach out. There are plenty of avenues of communication that can be kept private. And I don't think the children would mind having a sister.
Shell · 31-35, F
[@1165999,8Rockhead8] Such a good reply. Thank you
FatherTime · M
yes you should
Dan193 · 26-30, M
I wouldn't even write it on his name. Just put your name in the deed and just tell him that you give the house to him. Basically they'll just live there, but legally the house will be yours. Basically like a landlord type thing.
Dan193 · 26-30, M
[@881459,Shell] Yeah, if he'll be undecided, just tell him it's a free house. Why wouldn't anyone accept that?
Shell · 31-35, F
[@14565,Dan193] Lol. My father would say if its free then it should be no problem for the house to be in his name. He can be manipulative and I can be coward when it comes to him. Dont worry I wont let him get his way though
Dan193 · 26-30, M
[@881459,Shell] Yeah, just don't let him push for more than you're comfortable to give. I know he's probably got pride, but you also think that you're not only doing this to keep the stepmother away from it, but to keep him safe and secure.

i hope we'll hear updates to your story soon. I'm curious to know how it will go.
KA9ha · 31-35, M
you should not gift it to to him....His family will usurp it later and wrench it away from you ,,,,leaving you cheated with a bad taste.It will also be a point of bitterness between your father and stepmom./sons
Best is to get a lawyer for an agreement with MONTHLY RENTAL $1 per month but
In the state that I live in, is a law that the spouse in a beneficiary. I had to go through a lot of crap trying to keep my ex from getting my life insurance since he wanted me dead. Either leave it in your name and his or get a lawyer to find out if the same law applies where you are.
User41 · 31-35, M
I think you already know the the answer
Shell · 31-35, F
[@646421,User41] Our relationship is complicated
User41 · 31-35, M
I’ve noticed. An that’s fine.

Just make sure you don’t get screwed in the end.

Shell · 31-35, F
[@646421,User41] Yes thats what Im worried about too. Ill ensure it doesnt happen
MikeSp · 56-60, M
Not sure about Jamaican laws, but you should see an attorney specializing in real estate in your area. I would advise not putting it solely in your name for liability reasons. If you did, you should require that he purchase adequate property and liability insurance, but then you would need confirmation that the premiums have been paid on time. You might be able to joint tenancy or something similar with both his and your name on the deed/title. Then if he passes before you, his half is yours.
Shell · 31-35, F
[@10489,MikeSp] Id pay all that
WillaKissing · 56-60, T
I definitely would keep the home in your name, and I would make sure that the step mother could not reap the rewards of your love and effort for your father. Your step siblings will be old enough one day to build a relationship with you if you wished despite you keeping the home in your name.

Good luck Willa
reflectingmonkey · 46-50, M
seems fair to just say exactly that. dad i want to buy a house for you but you have to write it in your will (or however this is done) that the house returns to me if you die.
Shell · 31-35, F
[@9310,reflectingmonkey] Think Ill just buy it in my name
Gambitdom · 46-50, M
This is a really tricky one. Families are involved - just make sure you hold your head up high and when you look back in years to come - would you beable to tell a total stranger the story and feel ok about it..?
KA9ha · 31-35, M
Generate a will in courts and keep the house in your own name. Donate it to your father to live as long as he is alive . Post demise it must be vacated as the property is yours
If it was me - personally speaking - I would buy a house for ME and let them live in it. Then if anything happens the house is still under my name - I would assume.
I3ozzie · 36-40
You should ensure it returns to you in your name. You never know how your relationship will be effected if your father passed on
Celt43 · 46-50, M
Just buy the house let your father live in it with his family but keep it in your name that's easiest solution
luctoretemergo · 61-69, M
Do you have an attorney?’
If you can afford to gift a house
You should be smart enough to discuss this with an attorney and not a bunch of strangers on some website right?
Shell · 31-35, F
[@luctoretemergoMy lawyer would say to leave in my name but Im wondering if Im being selfish by not putting his name. Its like giving him something thats not actually his
luctoretemergo · 61-69, M
[@881459,Shell] listen to your lawyer....
Shell · 31-35, F
[@910835,luctoretemergo] Yes I think youre right
DownTheStreet · 51-55, M
rfhh1959 · 61-69, M
Rent it to him for a token amount and retain full ownership of it
Shell · 31-35, F
[@666973,rfhh1959] I would never let my parents pay me rent. Also, why would he leave his own house which is rent and mortgage free to pay rent?
rfhh1959 · 61-69, M
[@881459,Shell] I was think a $1 oer month to show it was not a gift. I would suggest consult a lawyer
Shell · 31-35, F
[@666973,rfhh1959] It is a gift. I will never charge my parents anything. Its gift for living but in my name for security
hlpflwthat · M
Curious what - if anything - you decided to do. I think I would just buy the house and let him(and his fam) live there.
navigatorTR · 36-40, M
well just buy the house and let them stay there for free.
EnglishLitLover · 56-60, M
In answer to your original question - YES! x
Neoerectus · 51-55, M
Could talk to a lawyer about a trust

Post Comment
12964 people following
Parenting & Family
Personal Stories, Advice, and Support
New Post
Group Members