I Am Spanish

For sure one of the most controversial facts in Spanish history is the conquer of a great part of America. I have very mixed feeling about it myself.
I cannot justify it. I detest any form of imperialism, colonialism or interventionism, and that conquer was nothing like that. I detest the hypocrisy of using religion as an excuse to justify the quest for gold.

On the other hand, I realise that Cortes and Pizarro could conquer huge empires like Aztec or Inca with very few people only because local tribes who were oppressed by them helped the conquerors. That's the wheel of life, you conquer and then you are conquered.
And also I cannot omit saying that Spanish conquerors were not as brutal as other European ones. Look at how many mestizos there are in the lands under Spanish domination and those who were about British ones and get your own conclusions.
2
|
twistermind · 46-50, F
I think the same. It's the wheel of History. I'm not very proud of colonialism either but I think it's the way History was in the past. So, I'm not blame myself for something my antecedors did.

I agree with you in the sense that Spanish people are one of the less racist population.
Only consider that Simon Bolivar decended from Spaniards.

When I see a lathin-american leader talking againts Spanish colonialism. I can't avoid laughing because their ancestors were Spanish. So, I think. Hey, it's you.
Cierzo · 46-50, M
I frown when I say some South Americans say 'you stole our gold'. I did not steal anything, not any Spaniard now living. Romans invaded Iberian peninsula and took gold too, should we ask Italy that gold back?
twistermind · 46-50, F
You know. When I was in Venezuela...I could read paintings on the walls againts Spanish Colonialism. I was so shocked.

I can understand how some political leaders need to justify their bad government but it's pretty boring how they always blame over and over again to other countries.

I Am Spanish
Categories: Travel

For sure one of the most controversial facts in Sp... | I Am Spanish | Similar Worlds