I Am Spanish

I am from Spain. In my first times on EP, I did not like to show it. I cared more if anyone could find me (although I knew that in this small city where I live chances are very slim).
I don't care about it now. And also I love my country more than I used to. We have many problems, a lot of corruption, too much PC. We have done things in history I am ashamed of. But I am proud of being a Spaniard and a European.
You may criticise my country. I may agree with you or not. More likely I will agree. But I will not let you insult it or its people. This is a red line nobody is allowed to cross.
5
|
GeniUs · 51-55, M
I think almost every country has bad things in their past (I'm British I think we are on a par with the Spanish) and every country has embraced PC way too much too.
Loretta78 · 41-45, F
I think almost every country in this world has done things in history where its citizens has to be ashamed of. Every country has good sides and bad sides, too.
By the way: I like Spain and its citizens. They are very open, vivacious and friendly. :-)
Cierzo · 46-50, M
Thank you Loretta78 and MrW888 for your wise words. Every country has made its mistakes (embracing PC is certainly a common on). Problems start when some believe their countries are superior, or other lands own them something for 'saving' them from whatever.
Loretta78 · 41-45, F
@ Cierzo: You are very right! Estoy de acuerdo! :-D
Cierzo · 46-50, M
@Loretta78. Gracias :)
Loretta78 · 41-45, F
@ Cierzo: De nada! :-D
It is a great thing to love your country, warts and all. Spain is truly a beautiful country. I do not know about the rest of Europe but I am so glad to have seen Spain. It just took my breath away. I think from now on, all other places pale in comparison.
Cierzo · 46-50, M
It is a diverse and often contradictory country, not easy to understand. For sure with a rich history and geography, and certainly with light and shadows
Loretta78 · 41-45, F
@ Cierzo: True! ;-)
MartenSPhotographer · 46-50, M
Dutch history is teached this way: in the 16th century [big]WE[/big] liberated us from the evil and uggly Spaniards - personalized in king [b]Felipe II de España[/b] and [b]Fernando Álvarez de Toledo y Pimentel «Gran Duque de Alba»[/b] - but when you study history for real you find out it is not black at white, but many colours. And the main colour is red (because of the blood caused by wars)...

And despite we Dutch could know it, we still don't flly acknowledge our black pages in history: brutal colonialism, slave trade and slavery. There is even a part of our population - voting xenophobe nationalists like Geert Wilders - who think you are a traitor of our nation if you speak out about that.

Philosopher [b]Fernando Savater[/b] made some good remarks about xonophobia and 'dumb' nationalism in some of his books and speeches, for example in '[i]Politica para amador[/i]'. You can know about the history of your country, be proud of your country and it's culture - Spain has a very rich culture, that goes beyond the tourists cities like Palma de Mallorca, Benidorm or Torremolinos where you can find a lot of Dutch people celebrating holiday - and I like to visit some of the really interesting cities and regions some day.

[b][i]Amor y Respeto en Países Bajos[/i][/b]... 🙂

I Am Spanish
Categories: Travel

I am from Spain. In my first times on EP, I did no... | I Am Spanish | Similar Worlds