I Hate Hot Weather

U.K. Issues First-Ever Extreme Heat Warning 馃敟馃敟馃敟

SOUTH WEST ENGLAND IS NOT A GREAT PLACE TO BE TODAY 馃サ
John01M
The prophecies are coming true
ClassifiedM
Are you at South West England? 馃ズ
ClassifiedM
[@561899,BalmyNites] Hopefully it helps 馃 Not sure whether it has to be hot. Maybe body temperature actually works better? 馃
I think chilled water works too and it gives relief when you drink it, but you body will probably try to warm it up as a side effect. 馃
BalmyNitesF
[@444927,Classified] I think I鈥檝e actually heard of that too 馃
ClassifiedM
[@561899,BalmyNites] Okie. Glad to be of service 馃槃
JustNik46-50, F
Oh dear. Stay safe now! I hope the elders get checked on.
BalmyNitesF
[@23104,JustNik] Thanks babe, I so agree - I think it鈥檚 a moral duty to check on elderly people
Houdini51-55, M
And I鈥檓 loving it. But people moaning about it. But they all go to hot countries for there holidays lol
BalmyNitesF
[@356383,Houdini] Thank you, it is very lovely 馃
Houdini51-55, M
Yes I love it down that way was going to move to brixham a couple of years ago [@561899,BalmyNites]
BalmyNitesF
[@356383,Houdini] Ahh yes, near Torquay, not far from me, it鈥檚 lovely there as well - the English Riviera 馃槉
TheGoodGuy36-40, M
Be safe 鉂わ笍
BalmyNitesF
[@551840,TheGoodGuy] Thank you 馃挏
rainguy41-45, M
Damn!! We've had a couple heatwaves here. Stay cool!
BalmyNitesF
[@593738,rainguy] Thank you, can鈥檛 wait for this to be over
mrh1972MVIP
The North East isnt on any day!!! Lol
mrh1972MVIP
[@561899,BalmyNites] yes its what we need
BalmyNitesF
[@459527,mrh1972] We won鈥檛 get a storm, just rain at weekend
mrh1972MVIP
[@561899,BalmyNites] yeah
This message was deleted by the author of the main post.
BalmyNitesF
[@376270,TimingQuasars] We have no air-conditioning, we are totally unprepared
TheSunisout56-60, M
Take care馃槉
BalmyNitesF
[@11430,TheSunisout] Thanks babe, Friday cannot come quick enough
Ambroseguy8051-55, M
First ever. Wow.
Ambroseguy8051-55, M
[@561899,BalmyNites] that鈥檚 awful hun. Be careful. Take cool baths or showers 馃毧
BalmyNitesF
[@403045,Ambroseguy80] Thank you, I have been 馃
Ambroseguy8051-55, M
[@561899,BalmyNites] good 馃槉
Ambroseguy8051-55, M
[@1203119,Sophiesmiles] there鈥檚 Sophie. ;)
JimboSaturn51-55, M
In Canada we had our highest temperature ever recorded +52 Celcius!
JimboSaturn51-55, M
Do many people in England have air conditioning?
ArishMell61-69, M
[@339269,JimboSaturn] It's very unusual in homes.

I daresay a few may have it; but generally our spells of very hot weather are not intense enough or long enough to justify the capital and running-costs of air-conditioning in an ordinary house.

We just open the windows (of which probably most now are doube-glazed) and let the breeze blow through, and that's usually enough.

A different matter for large commercial premises, espcially those built either with acres of glass or with very few openings to the fresh air and sunlight.
JimboSaturn51-55, M
[@519706,ArishMell] It used to be that way in the part of Canada I grew up, nobody had AC , but now they do.
ArishMell61-69, M
[@339269,JimboSaturn] It will be interesting to see how things develop in the UK if hotter and longer spells become the norm. I think the cost alone of installing air-conditioning throughout houses not built for it, will deter many householders; but it may be feasible in the more expensive housing developments among the many yet to be built.

Conversely, it will be equally interesting to see how the ending of fitting new gas-heating boilers in new homes built in the UK from 2025 onwards, part of a drive to go all-electric generally, will work....
Turtlepower31-35, M
What was your high temperature today?
BalmyNitesF
[@565666,Turtlepower] It鈥檚 evening here now (9.30pm) & my thermostat reads 84.2 in the house 馃槥
Turtlepower31-35, M
[@561899,BalmyNites] mhm I feel your pain! Stay cool!
BalmyNitesF
[@565666,Turtlepower] Thanks 馃
BalmyNitesF
[@268418,MartinII] Oh well, the point being - it鈥檚 feckin HOT! 馃サ
ArishMell61-69, M
[@268418,MartinII] Why "gross dereliction"?

As far as I recall the Met. Office never previously issued heat warnings, just forecasts of hot weather, because heat-waves were normally spasmodic and short-lived; and temperatures over 30潞C were quite rare, short-term, fairly local occurrences.

So if the decision to add those is a new response to such events possibly becoming more frequent and more severe, it should be praised; not criticised for something that was not past policy. It would be negligent only if it does not issue such warnings in future.

At least the weather's cooled down a bit now. We've had some rain, thankfully, the sky is heavily overcast, and I think sun and showers is the pattern for the next few days.
BalmyNitesF
[@519706,ArishMell] Thanks Mell, I think this is a troll who stalks me
ArishMell61-69, M
I cannot understand why people are merely criticising it.

Presumably the Meteorological Office has established statistically, maxima and minima to define "extreme" conditions compared with historical [i]mean [/i]weather behaviour and values. It's not a mere record-chasing exercise - that's for dozy "red-top" journalists to play!

No-one denies those past extreme events, nor their severity, but they happened before the Met. Office developed the present warnings and definitions.

The significant point would be whether the present extremes will be more isolated events or part of a developing pattern.

It should be remembered too, that these are extreme in British Isles climate terms.
BalmyNitesF
[@519706,ArishMell] Thank you, someone who gets it! 馃
SweetMae61-69, F
That is hot!! I remember the intensive heat wave of 2003.
MartinII70-79, M
[@10109,SweetMae] And I remember the long heatwaves of 1975 and 1976!
SweetMae61-69, F
[@268418,MartinII] I was sight seeing in Luxembourg the hottest day of that summer.
Ambroseguy8051-55, M
[@561899,BalmyNites] I鈥檓 probably not blocked, but I can鈥檛 remember his name. Lol
BalmyNitesF
[@403045,Ambroseguy80] I blocked him 馃榿

The name was MartinlI think
Ambroseguy8051-55, M
[@561899,BalmyNites] ahhhh yes. I see it in my notifications now
Kerrmit8436-40, M
Best place to be yesterday was messing about on/in the river
Houdini51-55, M
Just to make it clear for some people
BalmyNitesF
[@356383,Houdini]

NOT SO MUCH FUN 馃様
BalmyNitesF
[@356383,Houdini] Dangerously hot babe

Ignore them, they鈥檙e total idiots

They simply cannot comprehend that we live in a temperate climate, we do not have extremes of temps so this is deadly

Plus, as you say, no air con

Just block the fools, they鈥檙e a waste of oxygen tbh
annamk26-30, F
Just been on the scales and I lost 5lbs and an inch from my waist in the last 2 weeks馃槄I definitely sweated half of it off. It's a shame it has cooled again now, I never feel like eating when it is that hot馃槀
Turtlepower31-35, M
[@873896,annamk] "Heat waves, the new dietary aide everyone is raving about!"
BalmyNitesF
[@873896,annamk] Nice one 馃榿
AngelKrish22-25, M
My doctor told me you got heat stroke....from two days I am suffering from fever...馃サ
BalmyNitesF
[@3229,AngelKrish] That鈥檚 heat stroke

I Hate Hot Weather