Embarrassing & Funny

Why is "discombobulate" allowed to be a word?

Is "bobulate" a word? What does it mean to bobulate someone? Did Sherlock Holmes ever say "I nEeD tO bObUlAtE tHiS gUy"? Yeah, that's what I thought. The grammar nazis need to do an investigation and arrest someone.
LadyJ41-45, F
Never heard of this word 馃
[@1086727,LadyJ] [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcj7UtRUo6E]
Combobulate is a word
[@475592,Dragon56] What dictionary is that in
DragonFruit61-69, M
[@998562,SinlessOnslaught] It has been submitted for inclusion in Collins English Dictionary (and perhaps in others as well).
[@475592,Dragon56] So like I said, it's not in the dictionary.
missbeez26-30, F
Bobulate." Because discombobulate鈥攎eaning 鈥渢o confuse鈥濃攊s, stick with me here, bobulate plus 鈥渄is-鈥 (meaning apart) plus 鈥渃om-鈥 (meaning together, so the opposite of apart). In other words, "bobulate" could itself mean either 鈥渢o confuse鈥 or, its opposite, 鈥渢o clarify.鈥 Confusing, right? (Or clarifying
missbeez26-30, F
[@998562,SinlessOnslaught] urban dictionary
[@486083,missbeez] Urban dictionary has all kinds of shit in it lol
missbeez26-30, F
[@998562,SinlessOnslaught] i know haha
It's a word whose origins are fanciful rather than serious. It doesn't mean anything etymologically. It just kind of resembles "discompose" and "discomfit" and means the same thing. Apparently the original form was "discombobricate".

The word "copacetic" is completely fabricated too.

Embarrassing & Funny