I Find Psychology Interesting

[b]"The Eddie Haskell Effect" [/b](sometimes called the "Eddie Haskell Syndrome") refers to an employee in a workplace environment who acts obsequiously toward management and presents himself/herself as a model employee, but bullies peers and subordinates when the boss isn't around.

[image=https://photos1.similarworlds.com/00/00/00/00/02/08/47/05/Rutterman-UajDYTt4HtgFyzk.jpg]

The syndrome was named after the character Eddie Haskell, from the late '50s-early '60s TV sitcom, [i]Leave It to Beaver[/i]. The Eddie character never failed to act in an ingratiating manner toward the parents of his friend Wally Cleaver ("That's a lovely dress you're wearing, Mrs. Cleaver.") while tormenting Wally's younger brother Beaver (“What’s the matter, kid, did you spill jam on your bib?”) behind their backs.

Of course Ward and June Cleaver were never fooled by Eddie's duplicity. They would generally play along as if they were unaware, but they really knew what he was about.

*******

As you may know, Ken Osmond, the actor who played Eddie Haskell, passed away earlier this week at the age of 76.

Osmond wasn't able to escape being cast as an Eddie Haskell-type after[i]Beaver[/i] went off the air in 1963 and eventually joined the LAPD, where he served for 18 years. He did reprise the Eddie Haskell role in the 1980s in a made for TV movie, [i]Still the Beaver[/i] (1983), and in the TV series, [i]The New Leave It to Beaver[/i] (1984-1989).

It should be noted that Ken Osmond was nothing like Eddie Haskell. Tony Dow (Wally Cleaver), Jerry Mathers (Beaver Cleaver), Osmond's sons, and members of the LAPD have described him as a great colleague, friend, and parent. Jerry Mathers remarked that he was the best actor of them all, convincingly playing a character who was so radically different from himself.

Rest in peace, Ken Osmond.
10
|
StellasXOF · 36-40
💖
StellasXOF · 36-40
[@121363,Rutterman] aww i never saw much of the show.. they showed a clip of him in the news after he had died and about his part in that show.. but they only showed the nice part.. i didnt know there was another side to it
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@209334,StellasXOF] He was the closest thing to a villain in the show. But he really wasn't that bad. Sort of a squeaky-clean, 1950s version of a delinquent.
StellasXOF · 36-40
[@121363,Rutterman] ok ☺️👍🏼
LvChris · 36-40, M
We all know folks who do that, too.
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@335805,LvChris] Oh yeah. I've been around more than a few who were like this.
Peaches · F
[@121363,Rutterman] Me too. 🤭
JohnOlinger · 36-40, M
RIP
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@105699,JohnOlinger] Yes. 🥀 🙏
SmartKat · 56-60, F
They’re also called ass-kissers.
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@64306,SmartKat] Yep. Brown-nosers too.
I love your posts. I always learn something new.
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@1118110,JosephineEighty8] Very nice to hear that. 🙂
Vivaci ·
Oh I remember this character. One of my grandfather's friends was just like this...always kind to is in front of him, and when he used to turn around, he was a different person altogether. Same with my ex-sister-in-law. 🤨
Vivaci ·
[@121363,Rutterman] True...It shows their business minded nature.... they'll not even show interest until they see some benefit there.

In my hometown, we usually assume a certain type of surnames are usually like that.....can you believe it? 😅
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@372543,Vivaci] Lol. Where did people ever get ridiculous notions like that? 😄
Vivaci ·
[@121363,Rutterman] Ask my mom! 🤪😅

She used to label a certain sect saying..."OMG! Be careful of them folks.... they'll use you..."

And oddly enough, she was always right!! TF....🤦‍♀️
Peaches · F
Awww, 😔I didn't hear of his passing.💙 I adored him and the show. Nice job Danny, I enjoyed reading this as it brought back happy memories for me.⭐️
Rutterman · 41-45, M
[@364304,Peaches] Certainly a memorable character on a memorable TV show. Glad you enjoyed reading this, my friend. 💜

I Find Psychology Interesting
Categories: Education

"The Eddie Haskell Effect" (sometimes ca... | I Find Psychology Interesting | Similar Worlds