Education

What is your opinion of this LEGAL scheme to get free college?
Wealthy parents have been voluntarily giving up guardianship of their own children so that their children can qualify for need-based college aid. It's legal.
1
|
ImKelsey · 18-21, F
Do adult kids ever have guardians? Once 18 I think they're considered independents.
4meandyou · F
[@955894,Kelsey] When they are in high school, they are usually under the age of 18 and considered minors by law. That is the time when most kids apply to get into college. If their wealthy parents give up legal guardianship at that time, on paper, the child appears to have no money and qualifies for aid.
ImKelsey · 18-21, F
[@387713,4meandyou] So the kid is a derelict living at home still? I'd think this would disqualify them.
4meandyou · F
[@955894,Kelsey] No reporter has stated the children are living at home.
LaconIconic · 41-45, M
anything for learning & education
4meandyou · F
[@270290,LaconIconic] Yes, even stealing the free aid from the children of impoverished families for whom these programs were designed.
LaconIconic · 41-45, M
[@387713,4meandyou] Sorry. that was mean.
GoldenWorm · 46-50, M
My opinions that Republican led cuts to higher education budgets should be undone.
4meandyou · F
[@186635,GoldenWorm] I believe the parents who are gaming the system are much more to blame here than higher education budgets. Higher education has programs set up to pay for impoverished students...which these shark-like parents are stealing.

Is THEFT really necessary for those who are already wealthy? Does this not point out, instead, their shameful opportunistic natures, and does it not point the way for needed reforms in college and university programs which provide free aid?

Such as a proviso that if the child applying for free aid has been emancipated from a wealthy family within two years of his or her college application and can NOT prove residence in a foster home, they are not eligible for such aid?
Legal yes, but unethical. Still, I understand the motives - the costs of a college have risen astronomically over the last 30 or so years. Of course, actions such as this will continue driving up the costs even further.
TexChik · 36-40, F
I think a nation wide boycott of this year’s freshman class by non scholarship students would make a difference . I bet even the threat of it would send panic through the University System.
4meandyou · F
[@113373,TexChik] While the sentiment is admirable, I don't know of any way to access college records. In fact, it might be harmful or even illegal, like doxxing.

But I wish, in some way shape or form, that the cheating scumbag parents of these children could be censured publicly.
Heartlander · 70-79, M
It happens on the other end also. Older adults give their $$ to their children so they can qualify for Medicaid to cover long term care, which isn't covered by Medicare.

Financial advisers even advise such as a way to preserve family savings. Give your kids your money early, long before the possibility that you or your spouse may need to go to a nursing home.

For every government entitlement there's an industry that finds ways to take advantage of that entitlement, even for those who weren't the intended beneficiaries of those entitlements.

Here's another twist ... VA benefits that didn't cancel income tax deductions. That is, you get the tax free VA education $$ AND you get to deduct the cost of the training.
4meandyou · F
[@66493,Heartlander] Those are some nasty schemes. All ways to defraud the government.

My own mother hired a lawyer to look into ways that she and her father didn't have to pay death taxes. My grandfather incorporated all his children, which is legal but avoids death taxes, and my mother homesteaded her house to avoid losing it if she were sent to a nursing home. Once her house was sold, she split her money between me and my brother with the understanding that we would pay for her nursing home with it. All of those things were legal.
samueltyler2 · 70-79, M
Unethical, bordering on fraud.

Education

What is your opinion of this LEGAL scheme to get f... | Education | Similar Worlds