I Work Alot

Would you help them out or not?

Poll
I wouldn't cover for them at all..they shouldn't have called in so much.
I would give up one of my badly needed vacation days to work for them.
I would tell them to come back early from their trip to work their shift.
Show Results
You may vote on multiple answers.
Your work is extremely stressful, and you put in for a week off to get some badly needed rest and get a lot of things done around your house.
A coworker asks if you would work his shift on the second day of your badly needed vacation.
He says that he wants to go out of town for the weekend, but has called in so much that he would get a write up if he called in again. He wants to go out of town, and said if he rushed, he could make it back in town for his work shift, but instead he wanted to stay an extra day.
Would you give up one of your badly needed vacation days to cover their shift for them?
Or would you say no, because they should not have called in so much already that it would result in a write up?
Or would you tell them to just go on their trip, yet don't stay that extra day, so they could make it back to work on time?
be like, sorry, im going out of town and wont be able to cover it. maybe you can try to work out something with the boss. im pretty much done helping people out who dont deserve it, and who wouldnt do the same for you. but, you do you.
Mardrae · F
[@449169,YourMomsForbiddenCrush] I'm a horrible liar, but I just told them I needed the time off myself way too bad to help them.
Melpomene · 22-25, F
No, I'd tell them I'm on vacation (=not working) that week.
1. Don't be a pushover for something you need. 2. That's not your problem, he should've thought it through and even if his only plan was to ask someone to cover their shift, he should've asked around earlier.
Mardrae · F
[@9882,Melpomene] that's how I feel, and what I said to him, although I feel kinda guilty for not giving up my vacation day. I just badly needed it and was at the point of a nervous breakdown if I didn't get any time off soon.
Melpomene · 22-25, F
[@1206142,Mardrae] You don't need to feel guilty. You don't even have to need it, it's your vacation. You earned it.
Sadly I have a friend who does that. He says it's his leave and he uses it as fast as he gets it. Usually just to stay home a day and so nothing. I don't see how people can use all of their leave and never have any for emergencies. I would tell this person to ask someone else. That that is on your vacation. That takes a lot of nerve to ask someone to give up a vacation day to work for you for free.
Mardrae · F
[@78387,Stereoguy] I'm the same way...I literally never call in work, unless it's something like being sick, hospital, car breaking down, etc. I'm always scared of emergencies where I would need those call out days or lose my job like my coworker did years ago.
[@1206142,Mardrae] His company has even counseled him a couple of times about having leave accumulated. He has had to take time off without pay because he had already used all of his leave. When his mom died he only had one day of leave. She lived a third of the country away.
It may sound heartless, I wouldn’t give up my time to help them out. It sounds as if they have called in many times putting others out regularly. Why would I give up my vacation? Now that said… if I knew it was because they had I’ll family or someone was dying, I would absolutely help.
Mardrae · F
[@581067,DaddysTinyDancer] exactly. That's how I feel too. This person was fired years ago for the same reason...calling out too much. After several years, they let him finally come back, and they are doing the same thing again. It's not an emergency at all...they just wanted to go out of town with a friend. Their friend is the one who insists on staying an extra day.
[@1206142,Mardrae] then absolutely not! Don’t condone such selfish behavior by rewarding that jack ass with rewarding him with what he wants!
Keepitsimple · 51-55, F
Nope. If I’m off I am off.
Mamapolo2016 · 70-79, F
Isn't it goofy how irresponsible people can make responsible people feel guilty?

He wants to go out of town. You need to regroup. You win.

"Can't do it, pal. Sorry."
Mardrae · F
[@663519,Mamapolo2016] you're right...I really have no reason to feel guilty about it.
Mamapolo2016 · 70-79, F
[@1206142,Mardrae] You don't. 🤗 So quit it.
Asmae · 31-35, F
No. He can go fuck himself
Mardrae · F
[@509132,Asmae] LMAO 🤣😂
Justmerae · 51-55, F
I wouldn't he's a grown up just like you and should of made necessary arrangements
[@2144,Justmerae] yep agree. Where I retired from you had to request vacation time in advance, not at the last minute, and there couldn’t be anyone else in your area on vacation at the same time. Interrupting someone else’s vacation plans because you want a day off and didn’t preplan is not gonna cut it.
Raine · F
No, why should you ruin your much deserved break? I've had one colleague message me 40 mins before her shift starts to see if I could cover it. When I said no, she rang in sick. It's very selfish behaviour.
Mardrae · F
[@490299,Raine] I totally agree
BreezeyBree · 56-60, F
I am looking forward to when I can take a whole week and not be available to work at home and surely not work at the job! lol
I cannot remember the last time I was unavailable to work.

I've gotten to the point that I don't like helping others much at work since many times they leave early and claim extra time.
Sarabee · 41-45
I think you are old enough to make the wisest choice you know what consequences you receive so let peace and rest come over you🤭
smiler2012 · 56-60, M
{@mandrae] i do not know if you are having of conscience and you feel you are disappointing your co worker .well you can just say to this co worker i am sorry i would try and help you out under usual circumstances. but i have taken this time out to escape the stress of work and hope you do not take offence if rather did not cover that shift for you
Frequencys · M
Sounds like you need the decompress time off much more than them.
They can find someone else to cover the shift
You deserve the time off and away

I Work Alot