Personal, Thoughts & Feelings

I swear too many of my fellow white people have like no experience with the police
because if you did you would know 9/10 they don't solve problems so much as aggravate them and make them even worse.

I MIGHT call if there was an armed man trying to break into my house and hurt me or there were some MINOR issue like a Schizophrenic running lose in our neighborhood but other than that I don't generally believe in calling.
4
|
This unfortunately is true!
No fault of the police - just the constraints they have to work within.
[@476282,revenant] Oooh.. That's a new one!

Is that PC for irritating?! 🤣
revenant · F
[@912138,OogieBoogie] my nonPC answer would be : you could carry on all night ! This makes me laugh :)
Roadsterrider · 51-55, M
[@10406,BetweenKittensandRiots] The war on drugs has been turned into a asset seizure free for all. They don't give 2 bits for stopping drugs, they want to be able to seize the stacks of cash they find and valuable property. Billions are seized annually, where does that all go? New toys for the police department involved.
revenant · F
I agree. They can make things much much worse than it is
SurprisePartyRegicide · 18-21, M
Sounds like the real problem is that too many POC have had too many bad experiences with the police. When civilians don't have to worry about officers aggravating situations, that's the system working the way it should. We should try to make more of that.
LAlexV · 22-25, M
Yep. In some places the state will press charges even if you don’t want to.
Roadsterrider · 51-55, M
When I was a child, police were much more respectful of others, they were much more helpful to others. Changing tires, helping someone who ran out of gas get gas. If I got caught doing something the officer would tell my father instead of writing a ticket or worse. Riding my dirtbike on the road was my downfall. The police of today have been reduced to revenue generators for the municipality they work for. We bought into the "Protect and Serve" BS with Joe Friday and Andy and Barney in Mayberry. That isn't the way it is now.
[@830583,Roadsterrider] "revenue generators"

God!!! You're SO RIGHT!!!!

... And that's so wrong! 🤦‍♀️
satanburger · 31-35, F
[@830583,Roadsterrider] Yeah it's not really about protecting and serving.
satanburger · 31-35, F
One time, I had a police person give me a 300 dollar fine because they thought I was lying that I didn't have my vehicle registration. To this date, I still have no idea what happened to it. I just happened to not have it in my car and later that week was going to go down to the DMV and get another one.

The policeman told me I was lying, like straight up. Even though I wasn't, I didn't get it in the mail. I just looked at him, tried apologizing, and told him the honest truth but yeah he had to be a dick.

I've run into some really nice cops but it's kind of a toss-up, if they want to be an ass, they'll be one for sure. There's nothing anyone can do about it.

That's kind of the argument about police and power in general, who polices the police?

Personal, Thoughts & Feelings

I swear too many of my fellow white people have li... | Personal, Thoughts & Feelings | Similar Worlds