Should we all strive to be trilingual at bare minimum in life?
Why or why not?
2
|
Tiddz · 26-30, M
No, some of us just can't do languages... unless you count binary, Java, C++ and base 8 maths etc. as additional languages
LaconIconic · 41-45, M
No. Not just that. Even a 7 years old can pull that off.
ZenLioness · F
Why settle at trilingual? Why not more?
EugenieLaBorgia · 26-30, F
Yes. However, most have never even left the back yards in which they were spawned and have little time even for their own mother tongue let alone those of others. Sophophobia is on the increase and festers like an un-lanced boil.
4meAndyou · F
Language is like musical ability. If you can remember lilts and cadences and tempo, you are usually pretty good at languages...because speaking a foreign language is a lot like singing. Rote vocabulary and the ability to remember tenses is also necessary...but a lot of that is just memorization, like remembering the lyrics to your favorite songs.

I discovered, yesterday, that because I've taken five years of French, and because I learned pidgin Spanish at one of my employments, I was able to read and understand a birth certificate written in Italian!

That being said, if you have no one with whom to speak in that other language, it becomes useless knowledge, and it fades with disuse. If you live in Europe, then yes, it would be very useful.

If you live in the United States, you do need to learn some Spanish.
BlueVeins · 18-21, M
Nah, just learn Esperanto and hope everyone else does the same.
RoxClymer · 36-40, M
At least bilingual, being an American Spanish would be nice to know.

I have also know a good bit of sign language since I was little.

I also find it kind of funny/weird when none English people get mad at, particularly Americans about being monolingual,

1- it's not my fault English is the most used language around the world. 2- nor is it my fault that America is basically the size of the whole of Europe.

Should we all strive to be trilingual at bare mini... | Miscellaneous | Similar Worlds