I'm really frightened of marriage, weddings, etc. so does that make me abnormal ? 8-)

I've always been frightened of the idea of marriage, and the concept of weddings totally scares me because of the social nature of such events and things that follow.

My parents divorced when I was 12 so I never had any sort of nurtured childhood with a loving family unit so to me marriage is like a totally taboo area. I've never been to a wedding and to date have never been interested in the idea of proposing, getting engaged, and then married. Even to the two women I've had LTR's and created children with.

Does this make me abnormal? I often wonder if, like my bigger social phobia and fear of anything do do with sex, intimacy and relationships, there's something wrong with me. Otherwise I feel I'm a proper functioning mature adult.
An attack of the enemy
DragonFruit · 61-69, M
At your age, being really frightened of marriage and weddings would be abnormal.
Many people have no desire to marry, but to have a fear of it well into adulthood is not the norm.
True. It could be a result of your childhood trauma, and not growing up in a normal family. But then, you should have made an effort so that at least your kids didn't have to say the same thing bout you. Now they're just as emotionally detached and broken.

I hope they're not...🙁🤗