Situations

How many of you are on a Hedonic treadmill?
2
|
CountProgula · 36-40, M
Only in my dreams.
irishmolly72 · 46-50, F
@Progman: huh?
CountProgula · 36-40, M
@irishmolly72: Maybe I misunderstood what you meant
Quizzical · 41-45, M
Is that one of those that you don't need to plug in? 🤔
irishmolly72 · 46-50, F
@Quizzical: lol
VeronicaPrincess · 56-60
It's not stuck any more, I've made some actual progress. 😊
irishmolly72 · 46-50, F
@VeronicaPrincess: Good for you honey!
shapeshifter44 · 70-79, M
I'm trying to figure out the meaning of the question. At some basic level I follow the philosophy of Epicurus, with the crucial proviso that pleasure includes such things as friendship and intellectual discourse, along with the more obvious ones like good food, good sex and good booze.

but the term treadmill makes the whole enterprise sound like a waste of time: each new day brings me these pleasures: yesterday's sex was pleasurable (for both of us), and I expect the same thing tomorrow; yesterday's meal yummy and I expect tonight's dinner to be good. And it is just a humble spaghetti in a marinara sauce that I've made many times before.

Should I go kill myself to escape the treadmill? I think not! Please, if there are gods (which Epicurus doubted, and so do I), let the treadmill continue. ;)
irishmolly72 · 46-50, F
@shapeshifter44: were you thinking i said hedonistic treadmill?
shapeshifter44 · 70-79, M
@irishmolly72: I suppose I was. So what is the hedonic treadmill?
bhatjc · 41-45, M
Not at the moment lovely irish molly. Why are you already on it. And the rest of us need to hope on
irishmolly72 · 46-50, F
Just to clear up the massive amount of confusion: The hedonic treadmill, also known as hedonic adaptation, is the observed tendency of humans to quickly return to a relatively stable level of happiness despite major positive or negative events or life changes. Hedonism on the other hand is the pursuit of pleasure; sensual self-indulgence. Jesus H Christ. You people drive me nuts.
satanburger · 31-35, F
[@510181,irishmolly72] lol and to think a quick google search tells you but I think people thought of the other word, they sound related. And yes to answer your question I am on a hedonic treadmill. Though I don't know what it means by happy. If I return to stable means I usually am just more stranger than what I started and not necessarily happy but I guess that is a good or bad thing depending lol. :)
froggtongue · 36-40, M
[@510181,irishmolly72] Just what is a stable level of happiness?
bravo55 · 61-69, M
Treadmills take too much effort!
dommagic · 46-50, M
And it's carrying me full speed to being a full on hedonist
Unfortunately, the treadmill I'm on is more torturous.
Medical science still has a lot of catching up to do.
Please do explain exactly what A HEDONIC treadmill is?
[@394395,satanburger] Stick to the first version if I could ever get it to work. Thanks
irishmolly72 · 46-50, F
[@394395,satanburger] Thanks for that great explanation! It's so pertinent for Christmas where we get presents and are happy for a while. Then it's back to the old grind.
samueltyler2 · 70-79, M
[@510181,irishmolly72] sad way to look at it.

Situations

How many of you are on a Hedonic treadmill? | Situations | Similar Worlds