I Made A New Friend

My good friend/Neighbor, John

We have a bit of an odd neighborhood, John but, he is harmless. He’s a middle aged man who has no family & no friends. People either get annoyed by him or put off by him. I don’t. In fact, we get along quite well.

He came upstairs to ask if I can open his ketchup bottle for him. Sadly, he has the mind of a very young child but, I refuse to talk down to him. This afternoon touched my heart.

I was coming back from getting mail & on my way up the stairs, he was coming out of his apartment to get his newspaper. I said hi to him, as usual but, this time actually got a response from him. He said hi but, then asked if I wanted to see his trading cards. I smiled & obliged. We sat on the stoop & talked about the cards, what value they had, etc. for the first time, I saw him actually smile.

Last week was his birthday and I took the liberty of making him a card with some money for him to buy a proper meal with. First off, when I gave it to him, he looked at me with a cautious face but, when he saw that I genuinely meant it, his eyes widened & he gave me a hug out of nowhere. Due to the pandemic, I reminded him about the 6 feet apart rule & he let go.

Fast forward to today, I got home from a quick trip to the grocery store & found a bag of bagels by my front door. Inside the bag, there was a note, saying thank you for the gift. He has the delightful handwriting of a child but, I’m touched either way. This experience just goes to show not to judge anyone based on some odd behavior they might have. This guy is genuinely harmless & is just a little out of it. We now talk regularly every time we see each other.
windinhishair · 61-69, M
Bless you for your kindness.
Sweet story. It’s good to be friends with people. He may be on the autistic side.
PumpkinSpice · 18-21, F
[@16806,cherokeepatti] Thank you. I’m not a doctor but, I believe that he might be on the autistic side as well.
SweetMae · 61-69, F
You are very kind.
WillaKissing · 56-60, T
God bless you my very sweet and kind lady.
WillaKissing · 56-60, T
[@167432,PumpkinSpice] I value and appreciate you!
PumpkinSpice · 18-21, F
[@799841,WillaKissing] Aw, thank you! Perhaps we can get to know each other better? My DM is always open ☺️
WillaKissing · 56-60, T
[@167432,PumpkinSpice] Thank you. I will do that.
I applaud you for being able to see the good in him and take time out of your life to just enrich his so much.
Thank you
Piper · 61-69, F
Odd people are sometimes the kindest and most interesting ones. Sad, that some people don't care enough to find that out. That you did, is almost surely very meaningful for him. For you also, it seems.
Quimliqer · 61-69, M
Your actions and attitude are above so many. Bringing humanity to a person normally avoided is tremendous!!
Kudos to you!!
ticklerguy · M
Sometimes You Amaze Me
This Is One Of Those Times
PumpkinSpice · 18-21, F
[@536565,ticklerguy] You are AMAZING too!

I Made A New Friend