Science & Technology

Am I wrong abou the assumption that a rising level of the seas would at some point flood the Grand Canyon?
0
|
If it rises for a few thousand years yeah
scooogy · 26-30, M
[@645510,Longpatrol] and about the assumption: I read of an ever accelerating process of rising levels, like it would flood the Canyon faster and faster. Given the data and the volume of the Canyon I calculated 10 years.
[@956065,scooogy] I’m not sure 😬
scooogy · 26-30, M
[@645510,Longpatrol] I just thought I should ask because I don't know about plans of building dams or anything there.
quitwhendone · 46-50, M
I suppose it depends on how high the seas get. If floodwaters make it all the way to the Grand Canyon, California and Arizona will be underwater. So let's hope not. I suspect rising sea levels will affect the coasts and inland no more than 100 miles.
Thingschange4444 · 51-55, M
I've lived by the sea my whole life and the level has been roughly the same.
Thingschange4444 · 51-55, M
[@19840,MalteseFalconPunch] 🖒
scooogy · 26-30, M
[@454974,Perry4444] FYI I've asked this because I investigated the scenario of the flooding of the Grand Canyon pausing the rise of the sea level for a while.
Thingschange4444 · 51-55, M
[@956065,scooogy] Cool.
Stop allowing yourself to be scammed by the global warming hysterics.
scooogy · 26-30, M
[@824678,PainfulTruth] Because the glaciers just hop off into the matrix?
[@956065,scooogy] Al Gore assured us that by now there would no longer be a polar ice cap. How's that working out? Fine for him. He's made millions off silly dupes who believe his bullshit.
scooogy · 26-30, M
[@824678,PainfulTruth] okay, then for the next two minutes I'll be a climate expert just like Al Gore and say that there's also ice underneath the water.
MasterLee · 51-55, M
Oh sure. One day maybe a billion years from now.
Northwest · M
The volume of the Grand Canyon is about 4.17 Trillion Cubic Meters. Source: https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/statistics.htm

Based on the surface area of all the world's connected oceans, and if water goes only in the Grand Canyon, it would take a little over 1cm rise, in ocean water levels, to fill the Grand Canyon.

The mechanics would be very tricky
scooogy · 26-30, M
[@9416,Northwest] Now I wonder what masses should make the seas rise as predicted.

Science & Technology

Am I wrong abou the assumption that a rising level... | Science & Technology | Similar Worlds