What if the United States split into 2 countries would it really be that big of a deal?

In the North they like to burn down their own cities and in the South we like to work hard and party hard come vacation in Florida anytime you like or come to Texas for the best barbecue in the world 馃
Kristinamichelle31-35, F
In the south they burn crosses so not a great idea.
akindheart61-69, F
[@5558,Kristinamichelle] i live in the south and no we don't
Kristinamichelle31-35, F
[@872289,GERRI] yes exactly
Kristinamichelle31-35, F
[@18045,akindheart] nor do we burn our cities
QuixoticSoul36-40, M
The red parts of the country are too poor for that to happen - Biden counties are ~70% of the economy this go around.

Come to think of it, that makes the whole 鈥渨ork hard鈥 thing pretty funny.
MarmeeMarchM
[@19729,TheRascallyOne] He's just doing what he is told to do. I have no confidence that he can actually make a lucid decision on his own.
QuixoticSoul36-40, M
[@760047,MarmeeMarch] People say that about every potus, but it's too fanciful - and in the end, if he's fulfilling expectations it doesn't even matter.
MarmeeMarchM
[@580625,QuixoticSoul] Its only been 100 days - geezzz
cherokeepatti61-69, F
Yes it would be a big deal. Easier to take over both segments when they are divided and smaller.
basilfawlty8931-35, M
[@19729,TheRascallyOne] lol? I have family and friends on NYC. All the great US cities like NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago and St Paul are in the North. Most of the world thinks the South are a bunch of inbred, trailer dwelling sister fuckers with meth mouth. And it's accurate.
TheRascallyOne26-30, M
[@23671,basilfawlty89] Really those are all the worst cities to live in crimes rampant in Chicago New York Seattle has fallen to violent mobs in the South we just kind of move past we know he get blamed for everything
basilfawlty8931-35, M
[@19729,TheRascallyOne] dude, you have Florida, Oklahoma, etc. You can't talk shit.
Getting rid of the Federal Government and letting states be separate would be good. 馃檪
JP111931-35, M
[@1188491,ColonelPringle] You realize we already tried that once, right (see "Articles of Confederacy")? You would need a passport to go to a different state, and for example West Virginia money would be no good in Virginia. Oh and the big stuff, like there would be no more social security or medicare. I mean I guess each state could create their own social security and medicare [i]if they wanted to[/i], but it wouldn't be anything like the federal social security or medicare we have now.
[@337057,JP1119] I鈥檓 aware. Social Security and Medicare are both jokes. Their existence keeps people from finding actual solutions.
JP111931-35, M
[@1188491,ColonelPringle] Actual solutions like what?
Lapochka31-35, F
South Africans do the best barbecues. 馃檪
[@987291,Lapochka] Bless you
basilfawlty8931-35, M
[@949508,V00dooCakeNinja] Greek barbeques are okay, not bad, but South Africans and Armenians do it better. As a South African I'll admit the Armenians are a shade more talented that we are, albeit with less alcohol.
QuixoticSoul36-40, M
[@23671,basilfawlty89] Armenians and Georgians do outright magic with meat, it鈥檚 true.
YourMomsForbiddenCrush51-55, M
think about it...... how often do you hear people say..... "Im going to retire and move up north" LOL pretty close to never, but i have seen uhauls coming from New York and New Jersey for the past 40 years. LOL
QuixoticSoul36-40, M
[@449169,YourMomsForbiddenCrush] For retirement, folks want a warmer climate and a less developed economy - it makes your money go further. This is also why so many Americans are retiring in Mexico and Vietnam.
YourMomsForbiddenCrush51-55, M
[@19729,TheRascallyOne] been in North Carolina all my life. have no plans on leaving. weather is usually good. crime is relatively low. i am two hours from the coast and three hours from the mountains and there are lakes and ponds and trails everywhere and i love the outside.
TheRascallyOne26-30, M
[@449169,YourMomsForbiddenCrush] cool I wish you well hugs 馃
ZavodilaM
Bad things happen in Texas too. Remember Matthew Miser forcing a child to have sex with a dog? That was in Texas.
TheRascallyOne26-30, M
[@1108911,Zavodila] Yes I am not saying bad things don't happen him saying for the most part we are good people people who like law and order people who like to have good stores to go shopping at people who don't like domestic terrorism
ZavodilaM
[@19729,TheRascallyOne] Nothing in your crimes states says that.

But sure I鈥檓 all for cutting up the US. Each individual state if you like. Makes them easier to pick off.
JP111931-35, M
[@19729,TheRascallyOne] You know what's the most common brand of domestic terrorism right now? White supremacy. Guess what region of the country that's most prevalent in.
Viper31-35, M
Depends on how they split up...

If north vs south, as you suggest then north would be a liberal country lead by the north east and followed by north west.

The south would be fighting California vs the rest lol.
i am expatriating if that happens
SumKindaMunster51-55, M
Not gonna happen.

However, we may see further "Balkanization", as conservative people move to more remote areas and liberals move to the coasts and big cities.
LeoWulf36-40, M
Western Liberals, Terrorists, China, Russia and North Korea would love to see that happen haha.
Kindheartedguy46-50, M
Would you split it Red/Blue or North and South?
Kindheartedguy46-50, M
[@19729,TheRascallyOne] The strength of the United States is its united states. Russia and China would pick the south (nationalists) apart while the rest of the "one world" philosophy countries warred with them.
TheRascallyOne26-30, M
[@337992,Kindheartedguy] we could come together during time of war
Kindheartedguy46-50, M
[@19729,TheRascallyOne] The Northern Hemisphere Union would be warring with Russia/China (and their pets).

You would already be part of Russia and/or China. We wouldn't want you.
KidRandom18-21, M
I live in New England and I've never seen a burning city, so I'll stay here, thanks, even though it's cold a lot of the time. 馃ザ
QuixoticSoul36-40, M
[@1007030,KidRandom] You mean none of your cities have been burned TO THE GROUND (!!!!!)? Shocking.
TheRascallyOne26-30, M
[@1007030,KidRandom] You guys are nothing without Tom Brady lol
KidRandom18-21, M
[@19729,TheRascallyOne] And he's not even a native New Englander; he's from California 馃う鈥嶁檪锔
tindrummerM
Wouldn't want my southern friends and family to live in the kind of country that would be.
QuixoticSoul36-40, M
[@449169,YourMomsForbiddenCrush] Nature is all over the place, I doubt that this is what either of these posters is talking about lmao.

GERRI46-50, F
[@400948,tindrummer] Not agreeing at all with your implied disparaging northern BS!! but they could leave, move, not remain-----
tindrummerM
[@872289,GERRI] Some like me have left, others would like to and a new csa would undoubtedly have many more packing.
tenente90-99, M
Texas can cede any time the state senate wants -- well technically they could because of a gramatical error in the constitution that no one ever really noticed until 2011 lol
texas should go back to Mexico [@15494,tenente]
GERRI46-50, F
[@15494,tenente] Please enlighten. If one positive has come from this whole covid lockdown, it is helping my teen with his home-schooling. The Civil War is fascinating.
wildbill8336-40, M
north couldn't survive without the south, even with their conceited attitude during the civil war, they were still dependent on smuggled slave picked cotton from the south...
TexChikF
There would be 36 ? Red states .
PfuzylogicM
Picking on girls today wabbit? 馃え
curiosi56-60, F
Florida and Texas have the best governor's in the US. The states would be flooded.
GERRI46-50, F
I'm going with the side that puts slaw on their B-B-Q's
spjennifer56-60, T
Sadly for the Southern States, the facts speak for themselves from a purely financial perspective. The States with highest Net Worth per household and highest median income are mostly in the North and it is much the same for Taxation revenues. If the North and the South were to split, the South would become much like a third world country. This taken from the Census statistics.

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/newsroom/press-kits/2017/assa_geographic_distr_wealth.pdf#page=20

GERRI46-50, F
[@605026,spjennifer] That's a total speculative fallacy--- 55K year in West Virginia brings a higher standard of living than 85K in NY. And I doubt the color-coded map is totally accurate. If not for the northern part of Virginia being Government D.C based residence and the large DoD presence in the Tidewater area, Virginia would likely be among the poorest states in the country. I see no way West Virginia's median income
is greater to neighboring states like Ohio, Kentucky, Tennesee, or equal to North and South Carolina. The faster-growing states now are all southern, in region.
spjennifer56-60, T
[@872289,GERRI]

[quote]That's a total speculative fallacy [/quote]

Yes, I'm quite certain that the Census Bureau is biased against the South but of course you know better than they do I'm sure. What are you basing your statistics on, speculative lunacy? One of the reasons I posted the link as the one slide doesn't tell the whole story but the rest of it from the link sure does...
HannahSkyF
Doubt that, but ok. People move all over the place these days. Transplants everywhere. Could end up with someone from the north in the south or visa versa.
jackj56-60, M
There are strong philosophical differences that is for sure. Inasmuch as it鈥檚 a split larger based on population centers vs sparsely populated areas a division is virtually impossible.