The first doctor to postulate washing hands to prevent infection was put into a mental asylum for going against the science

MrBrownstone · 41-45, M
The “trust the science” bullies don’t understand science can be wrong.
StrongerNow · 51-55, F
sheesh.....looks like someone needs to throw away his TV and do some critical thinking....instead of whining about 'us people'
[@321829,pianoplayingsteve] Conspiracy nuts. Anti-mask, anti-vax Karens and Kens.
CountScrofula · 36-40, M
pianoplayingsteve · 26-30, M
[@624254,CountScrofula] Nothing that would interest you.
CountScrofula · 36-40, M
[@321829,pianoplayingsteve] Posting this kind of dog whistle and then refusing to own up to it is pretty cowardly, gotta say.
[@624254,CountScrofula] I think he's just mad that we called him on it.
Yeah, so let's poison the well and never listen to science, because popular opinion was once wrong.
[@1149,MrBrownstone] Yes, research on the internet. What am I going to do, take the time to travel around the country and interview these people myself?
MrBrownstone · 41-45, M
[@1201381,LordShadowfireTheSarcastic] I used history for my research. Virtually no restrictions for the Hong Kong flu pandemic.
[@1149,MrBrownstone] Remember the Spanish flu? Millions of people in Pennsylvania demanded that restrictions be lifted, and the state conceded. Ask me how many people died.
curiosi · 56-60, F
Exactly! The sheep fear anything that means they must think.
pianoplayingsteve · 26-30, M
[@423488,curiosi] This is EXACTLY it! And similarly, anything that requires effort.
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
Favorite way for a scientist to try to argue a point: "I'm a scientist." Okay then, no need to worry about logical fallacies or anything else. The "scientist" wins.

There is a good book called 'Science is a Sacred Cow'.

Max Planck, one of the most brilliant scientists ever: [b]science makes progress funeral by funeral[/b].
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
[@321829,pianoplayingsteve] And "science" is as infected with pride and money lust and infighting and cheating and blah blah as much as any other field. Moreso on the pride front than other fields, because the idea of 'science' is worshipped. Pride destroys the ability to think clearly. "I have this idea, and it must be correct, because I am so brilliant." There is a ton of that; I don't care what anybody says. I have seen it myself, and I know human nature and am honest about it in myself. Pride kills the mind's ability to function well.
pianoplayingsteve · 26-30, M
[@549497,uncleshawn] Yes, I try to approach any subject as if I were a child back at school first learning about the heart, or back at my first piano lesson. You have to. Just how I am, i want to constantly learn new things so I have to constantly be humble. I'm one diploma off of mastering the piano, and I'm going straight to violin so it's like i'll be back to square one. But it feels so good.
uncleshawn · 36-40, M
[@321829,pianoplayingsteve] Cool. Humility and basic childlike desire to know and learn and grow is what progresses society. And that is what drove the scientific age: the humility of "there is a ton of stuff I don't know, and I want to figure it out". [b]Very[/b] humble....the opposite of what is fashionable to say of Western development. It is foolish pride that keeps people -- and cultures -- in the dark ages.
ineedadrink · 51-55, M
But as always the anti-science info provided in SW is just a sliver of a misquoted story. He was committed years later due to his strange behavior, believed to be from syphilis or dementia of some kind. So you're full of it, just like most of your ilk here are.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/01/12/375663920/the-doctor-who-championed-hand-washing-and-saved-women-s-lives

or

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Ignaz-Semmelweis
pianoplayingsteve · 26-30, M
[@4658,ineedadrink] I didn't know I belonged to an ilk haha and that expressing a view you dont like means I'm "full of it". The things I hear on this site xD
Which is what I'm sure you people would love to do to Dr. Fauci.