curiosi · 56-60, F Best Comment
Little by little they are eroding our culture. They wont be happy until we are a dictatorship with no right to independence.
Let them get offended. Being "offended" is on a par of always when things don't go the way someone or some groups don't agree with someone else's views, suddenly they're "racist", "xenophobic", "Islamaphobic", words and phrases that try and shame people. If I don't attack someone personally, but I express my views that they disagree with and they're offended, well I say this: Life's a bitch, things aren't always what YOU want them to be, and get over yourselves and your pangs of insecurity and vanity"![@356214,GunSmoke9]
GunSmoke9 · 56-60, M
[@822235,soar2newhighs] Since when is being offended a crime? We are becoming a nation of snowflakes, looking for things that might offend us.
A painting of George Washington in San Francisco might be painted over because it is seen as being racist. People trying to erase history, sad and dangerous.
Agreed-thank you.[@356214,GunSmoke9]
talisker · 70-79, M
Pledges of allegiance are childish, serious countries with self confidence do not bother with such stuff.
[@956779,talisker] After this stimulating conversation it’s no wonder you have to cruise groups for comments. You’re boring.
talisker · 70-79, M
[@485179,jadedsunshine] But accurate and able to deal with the less able.
GunSmoke9 · 56-60, M
[@956779,talisker] So we should just ban them?
Yes city council members are a part of government, and they should pledge allegiance to their city, state, and country.
Regardless of what she thinks, I would recite the pledge of allegiance anyway, and if she had anything to say about it, i would just announce that i was exercising my first amendment rights. and anyone else who wanted to join me would be welcome. you can choose to not make it mandatory, but, you cant stop me from saying it. LOL
4meAndyou · F
[@449169,YourMomsTabooCrush] All the council meetings are being flooded with protesters chanting USA USA!
FreeSpirit1 · 46-50, F
Very stupid. It reminds me of the school in Texas who took the flag down on a Mexican Holiday because it could offend some kids....the news media couldn't find any Mexican American kids who were offended, but that didnt matter. Virtue signaling is out of control.
GunSmoke9 · 56-60, M
[@157515,FreeSpirit1] Something similar like that happened in Arizona. Students were told not to wear American attire on Cinco De Mayo day, because it might offend Mexicans.
NorthernBear · 46-50, M
Some people who were born here don't say the pledge. I literally never thought until I read what you wrote about non-citizens not wanting to say it. There are practical reasons not to say it whether you're a citizen or not.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUKffuSO4Mo]
4meAndyou · F
[@712671,NativeOregonian] I am disappointed in your obtuse reaction.
NativeOregonian · 46-50
[@387713,4meandyou] I really do not care what you think, I will always side on the Constitution.
4meAndyou · F
[@712671,NativeOregonian] I will side with the Constitution also, but there is a difference between the rights of private citizens and the ability of a government agency to ban things that are supposed to be honored.
NativeOregonian · 46-50
In 1943 the US Supreme Court ruled that the Pledge is not mandatory. This was due to the fact that a group of Jehovah's Witnesses sued over religious grounds. I remember in jr high we had a foreign exchange student from Australia that refused to recite along with everyone else, stating that she was loyal to her own country and felt she should not feel compelled to recite to her host country. When my school threatened to suspend her, she threatened to sue and contacted the Australian consulate in Washington DC. My school backed down and she was able to finish out the year, this was in 1985.
4meAndyou · F
[@712671,NativeOregonian] No one wants to force people to do anything. We won't march into St Louis Park with a gestapo and force them at gunpoint to recite the pledge. We allow people the freedom to behave in the way they want.

We also have our own individual freedoms to feel a deep, deep sense of disgust at members of our own government who can't get behind the idea of swearing allegiance to the country they supposedly serve.
NativeOregonian · 46-50
[@387713,4meandyou] Your second paragraph pretty much contradicts your first one by saying you wish compulsory recitation, which is fascism.
4meAndyou · F
[@712671,NativeOregonian] Incorrect. I feel a very deep sense of disgust. VERY deep. That is my right. I am pointing out their lying hypocrisy.

Our state officials swear an oath of office similar to the one below:

The following oath of office is one that is commonly used:
"I, _____, do solemnly swear [or affirm] that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution and laws of the State of Washington, and all local ordinances, and that I will faithfully and impartially perform and discharge the duties of the office of _____, according to the law and the best of my ability."

"The pledge began as an intensive communing with...our national history, from the Declaration of Independence onwards; with the makings of the Constitution...with the meaning of the Civil War; with the aspirations of the people...

--Francis Bellamy, author of the original Pledge of Allegiance"

So the two faced members of the city council of St Louis Park swear an oath to support the Constitution with their right hand upheld to verify the truth of their words, and with their left hand they take away the honor due to our history and to the Constitution.
Virgo79 · 56-60, M
The US. Is crumbling from within.
talisker · 70-79, M
[@349935,Virgo79] where does copulation enter into our little chat?
Virgo79 · 56-60, M
[@956779,talisker] what that means is it's your decision if you care or not.
Don't make mine, I'm not making yours.
talisker · 70-79, M
[@349935,Virgo79] much better put.
GunSmoke9 · 56-60, M
They should not ban the pledge because it might offend some people. The ones that might feel offended could just sit there. Or show up right after the pledge is said.
4meAndyou · F
[@356214,GunSmoke9] EXACTLY!!!
Maybe they should replace it with the I have a Dream (plagiarized in part) Speech. By MLK
I live in New Hampshire and I never see the Pledge of Allegiance at any town or city meetings...

Never has been and before you call NH liberal, do your research
If those who are not citizens, and attend such meetings, need to be told: Before you come here as a non citizen unless you're in the process of becoming one, you will acknowledge the pledge or get out until it's over. End of story! Come back later, but your input just might be disregarded!
What you're seeing is CAPITULATION by weak and feckless politicians, caving into Political Correctness. That's the long and short of it. And even if it weren't the issue of the pledge of allegiance, then other issues that might "offend" or "upset" others; those politician will fold in a heartbeat, especially if they see it furthering their agenda(s).[@387713,4meandyou]
4meAndyou · F
[@822235,soar2newhighs] To whom are they REALLY captitulating? To the college professors who are training a nation of communists, with one goal...bring this country to it's knees? Or to the billionaires who fund them?
Both.[@387713,4meandyou]
Again, I chime in: Some say the pledge is good, where others disagree. Here in America we can agree to disagree, but if you are a non citizen, I'd say you should be respectful of the pledge because OBVIOUSLY you are here to become a CITIZEN, and reap the benefits of being one. But if that is not your view or case as a NON CITIZEN, what the hell are you doing here?
4meAndyou · F
[@822235,soar2newhighs] I can see you, just can't see him. You don't call people names like fascist, as he did to you, on my posts without climbing onto the sh!t list.
I reminded him, by asking if he were a native of Oregon, how I viewed the recent ANTIFA journalist assault. Even Joe Biden decried that. Yes, I cede, some non citizens are here for non residency or wanting to be an American citizen; albeit, then when your visa expires, return to your homeland. You have issues in the country you came to where that country's people in Gov't opt to say the pledge of allegiance, and it doesn't sit well with them...then leave the meeting. You want a piece of the "pie", you best contribute to making it"![@387713,4meandyou]
4meAndyou · F
[@822235,soar2newhighs] Anti-fa are domestic terrorists. But American politicians who get down on their knees to kiss the rear ends of foreigners, ignoring their own people and selling their own country down the river, need to re-think their motivations, because they won't rise to power by pooping on the flag.