Tulsi outs CIA agent working as Russian spy.
Tulsi Gabbard ‘accidentally named CIA agent working as Russia spy; Tulsi Gabbard Blindsided CIA Over Revoking Clearance of Undercover Officer.
By Michael Nama
Current Affairs/Az Express
29/08/2025 13:20
Tulsi Gabbard accidentally revealed the name of an undercover CIA agent working as an expert on Russia, according to a report.
The national intelligence director blindsided the agency when she revealed the individual’s name on social media in a list of dozens of individuals she had stripped of security clearances last week, The Wall Street Journal reported.
Ms Gabbard was apparently unaware that the official, described by the post as a “long-time Russia hand,” had been working undercover, and allegedly failed to properly consult the CIA before releasing the list.
However, an intelligence source pushed back on the report, saying the individual was an analyst rather than an undercover operative, who had produced “highly politicised” analysis designed to damage Donald Trump, the US president.
There was “staff-level coordination” between Ms Gabbard’s office and the agency before she published the list and “zero concerns” had been raised since, they told The Telegraph.
Most of the 37 individuals who had their clearances removed had participated in the probe on Russia’s attempt to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, or signed a letter in 2019 calling for Mr Trump to be impeached.
The undercover officer is said to have been a Russia expert who has worked in intelligence for more than 20 years.
They “actively oversaw” the production of the intelligence community assessment which concluded Russia sought to help Mr Trump and damage Hillary Clinton’s campaign in the 2016 election, according to the source.
Larry Pfeiffer, a former CIA chief of staff, said Ms Gabbard would have been “smart” to consult with the CIA before releasing the list, warning the move could endanger relations with foreign governments.
“Director of national intelligence Gabbard directed the revocations to ensure individuals who have violated the trust placed in them by weaponizing, politicising, manipulating, or leaking classified intelligence are no longer allowed to do so,” a spokeswoman told The Wall Street Journal.
The development may further fray relations between the national intelligence chief and the CIA following a clash on declassifying a document about Russian influence on the 2016 election.
Gabbard overrode security concerns.
Ms Gabbard overrode concerns from agency officials who argued more details should have been redacted to protect sources and spying methods. John Ratcliffe, the CIA director, said via a spokesman he “strongly” supported the document being released.
The national intelligence chief has been praised by Mr Trump for her recent move against the intelligence community, which he claims has been turned against him.
“Being entrusted with a security clearance is a privilege, not a right,” she said on Aug 19 as she announced the names of individuals losing their access to classified documents.
“Those in the intelligence community who betray their oath to the Constitution and put their own interests ahead of the interests of the American people have broken the sacred trust they promised to uphold.
“In doing so, they undermine our national security, the safety and security of the American people and the foundational principles of our democratic republic.”
Earlier this year, Ms Gabbard appeared to be on shaky ground with the US president, as he repeatedly contradicted her characterisation of Iran’s nuclear capabilities.
One individual, also stripped of their security clearance, warned Ms Gabbard’s purge would remove experienced intelligence officers dedicated to keeping Americans safe.
“This weaponization stifles much-needed national security debate and will deprive the government of valuable expertise,” they said.
By Michael Nama
Current Affairs/Az Express
29/08/2025 13:20
Tulsi Gabbard accidentally revealed the name of an undercover CIA agent working as an expert on Russia, according to a report.
The national intelligence director blindsided the agency when she revealed the individual’s name on social media in a list of dozens of individuals she had stripped of security clearances last week, The Wall Street Journal reported.
Ms Gabbard was apparently unaware that the official, described by the post as a “long-time Russia hand,” had been working undercover, and allegedly failed to properly consult the CIA before releasing the list.
However, an intelligence source pushed back on the report, saying the individual was an analyst rather than an undercover operative, who had produced “highly politicised” analysis designed to damage Donald Trump, the US president.
There was “staff-level coordination” between Ms Gabbard’s office and the agency before she published the list and “zero concerns” had been raised since, they told The Telegraph.
Most of the 37 individuals who had their clearances removed had participated in the probe on Russia’s attempt to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, or signed a letter in 2019 calling for Mr Trump to be impeached.
The undercover officer is said to have been a Russia expert who has worked in intelligence for more than 20 years.
They “actively oversaw” the production of the intelligence community assessment which concluded Russia sought to help Mr Trump and damage Hillary Clinton’s campaign in the 2016 election, according to the source.
Larry Pfeiffer, a former CIA chief of staff, said Ms Gabbard would have been “smart” to consult with the CIA before releasing the list, warning the move could endanger relations with foreign governments.
“Director of national intelligence Gabbard directed the revocations to ensure individuals who have violated the trust placed in them by weaponizing, politicising, manipulating, or leaking classified intelligence are no longer allowed to do so,” a spokeswoman told The Wall Street Journal.
The development may further fray relations between the national intelligence chief and the CIA following a clash on declassifying a document about Russian influence on the 2016 election.
Gabbard overrode security concerns.
Ms Gabbard overrode concerns from agency officials who argued more details should have been redacted to protect sources and spying methods. John Ratcliffe, the CIA director, said via a spokesman he “strongly” supported the document being released.
The national intelligence chief has been praised by Mr Trump for her recent move against the intelligence community, which he claims has been turned against him.
“Being entrusted with a security clearance is a privilege, not a right,” she said on Aug 19 as she announced the names of individuals losing their access to classified documents.
“Those in the intelligence community who betray their oath to the Constitution and put their own interests ahead of the interests of the American people have broken the sacred trust they promised to uphold.
“In doing so, they undermine our national security, the safety and security of the American people and the foundational principles of our democratic republic.”
Earlier this year, Ms Gabbard appeared to be on shaky ground with the US president, as he repeatedly contradicted her characterisation of Iran’s nuclear capabilities.
One individual, also stripped of their security clearance, warned Ms Gabbard’s purge would remove experienced intelligence officers dedicated to keeping Americans safe.
“This weaponization stifles much-needed national security debate and will deprive the government of valuable expertise,” they said.