Only logged in members can reply and interact with the post.
Join Similar Worlds today »

Does shutting your finger in the car door constitute a car accident?

My husband stepped out of his truck and in the process shut his index finger in the door. It was bad enough that he had to go to the ER to get it checked out. Now the hospital is billing us...but our medical insurance won't pay because they are insisting this is a "car accident". Our car insurance provider insists this is a medical issue and health insurance should pay. In the meantime we are getting dunning notices from the hospital. Who's right and who is wrong? Which insurance is liable?
Wraithorn · 51-55, M Best Comment
I agree with your car insurance. It's a medical issue. I suggest you ask both companies to provide you with the portion of the contract you agreed to that they get their reasoning from. Contact the accounts dept at the hospital and ask them to be understanding for a while.
BaxtersMomma · 61-69, F
[@385840,Wraithorn] That's what we did. ...and the hospital's business office was very kind and helpful.
Wraithorn · 51-55, M
[@676428,BaxtersMomma] Woo Hoo..! Great ! I'm happy that you managed to get that sorted. That helpful clerk deserves a bunch of flowers or chocolates or some such thing.

Thanks for BA. ☺

BaxtersMomma · 61-69, F
Update: The clerk in the hospital's business office was MOST helpful! She understood the situation and said she would be in contact with BOTH our medical and auto insurance companies.

Done deal...not exactly sure how it got resolved but she did indeed take care of it. ...she must have dealt with these types of situations many times before...
It's is dependent on the small print in your vehicle insurance policy.. Technically it's not an accident as usually defined by vehicle insurance, though their may be some coverage for injury that it falls under.. Sometimes home owners insure can cover accidents in and around the property...

I would say your medical insurance are being dicks and just trying to defer you so you will go away... I would read your medical insurance thoroughly and I'm sure you will see it should apply in this case for your husband personal injury...
cherokeepatti · 61-69, F
Ouch! I don't think it would be covered under car insurance. My sisters and I all did that when we were kids.
Miram · 31-35, F
[quote]If a vehicle led to the injury, even if it’s not involved in a crash, car insurance will often pay for the treatment — a consideration many injured people may not think about because their first inclination is likely to go to their health care provider.[/quote]
BaxtersMomma · 61-69, F
[@542305,Darkcosmos] Thanks so much for taking the time to look this info up for me.
Ashlee · 41-45, F
That is terrible. Good luck with that.
Beebo · M
Problem is, each insurance is so different. This will include both thee insurances, car and health. Both have good lawyers. If neither of them are willing to pay, then it's time to take them insurances to court.
Miram · 31-35, F
It's not a car accident but that's how things are in some of the US states. Medical insurance varies from state to state.
Here in Montreal it would be covered by your healthcare plan.
Gangstress · 36-40, F
It would be your health insurance. Car insurance will not take ownership of this. But you more than likely to need to get your car insurance to send you a rejection
RodneyTrotter · 51-55, M
It was an accident caused by being careless while getting out of a vehicle, not while driving one so I doubt if it counts as a valid claim.
RoadieJay · 61-69, M
That's ridiculous - so if you fall down the stairs you need to claim it on your homeowners insurance?
BaxtersMomma · 61-69, F
[@595676,RoadieJay] I'm guessing, yes, that's the way it works (if we go by the way insurance companies think. 🤔 )
SW User
pay them now, get the paidup proof/email it to the healthinsurance
we do that stuff directly online
firefall · 61-69, M
Varies by state, I think, and you'll need a suit of some sort to get it defined by a judge.
Its an accident that probly didn't really require a hospitals visit imo its not like they can even do anything for such an injury 🙄
frequentlyme · 70-79, M
Yah, that's a rough one. Either could. I'd think strongly about taking that to a lawyer.
SW User
perplexing for sure! You need to find a presidence! Google it!

Post Comment
18637 people following
Personal Stories, Advice, and Support
New Post
Group Members