Only logged in members can reply and interact with the post.
Join SimilarWorlds for FREE »

My friend is getting a divorce

Where does she even start?
What does she need to do to get out?
She is young and needs help. They own a house together
GLITTER · 36-40, F
I would start by getting a solicitor, they’ll let her know what happens next no doubt
HappyCamper74 · 46-50, M
Get a tiger of a lawyer first. She will need the support of friends or family to have a safe place to go to in the event he refuses to leave. Local law enforcement may be necessary too to remove him from the dwelling or for her protection in move her things out.
Divorce can be messy and tricky.
in10RjFox · M
Need more information on her situation and relationship with Spouse. Best would be divorce with mutual consent where both sit down and discuss their separation and other matters such as property, savings etc.

If it's contested by spouse, then it's best to see a lawyer and file for a divorce.
Donna15 · 41-45, F
She needs a very good lawyer!
NowOk · M
@Donna15 very first thing she needs to do
Ontheroad · M
Definitely needs a lawyer... that has to be step one.
Get the best lawyer you can afford.
This is going to be messy and horrible.
Even if it starts amicably, it will not end that way. Having said that, try to stay on good terms with the spouse, especially during the financial settlement.
In England the wife should stay in the house. Ignore any input from in-laws.
Fairydust · F
If she can do it amicable it is better, solicitors cost a fortune, mine took nearly a year and cost me thousands.

Does she have an income on her own?
OverTheHill · 56-60, M
Have they tried marriage counseling? All marriages go through difficulties, sometimes getting help can help resolve issues.
Lawyer and a restraining order
InHeaven · F
Online. On the court house website of that area, the court that decides divorces (google which one in your area) it has all the instructions there , what papers to gather, print out and submit to the judge. Then a lawyer probably for the house. He will probably have a lawyer too
Pawpaw2molly · 61-69, M
Contact a lawyer
Iwillwait · M
Hire an Attorney.
uncalled4 · 56-60, M
Lawyer up. I've done this. AMA.
She needs to get a divorce lawyer since they have a house and possibly other debts together, they will advise her on everything.
PrettyTroubles · 26-30, F
@NativePortlander1970 where does she find a good lawyer?
@PrettyTroubles She can ask any family court judge which one they think would honestly help her the best, a recommendation.

Post Comment