Only logged in members can reply and interact with the post.
Join Similar Worlds today »

Can numbers be called palindromes?

Numbers which read the same backwards and forwards (e.g. 717), are they still called palindromes, or is there another word for numbers like that?
SW-User Best Comment
They are called palindromes, yes, or "palindromic numbers".

If you take a number that's not a palindrome and reverse its digits and add the two together, you will eventually get a palindrome, though it may take a few steps:

41 + 14 = 55 (one step)
57 + 75 = 132 + 231 = 363 (two steps)

Don't try this with the number 196, though. It's been done with over a billion steps and they still haven't found a palindrome.
NankerPhelge · 56-60, M
@SW-User I've never heard of Lychrel numbers before. That's a new one on me. I remember learning that 14 times 14 was 196.
@NankerPhelge Yep. And 13 times 13 is 169. (and 31 times 31 is 961). I love noticing all these patterns. They call it "recreational mathematics". :)
NankerPhelge · 56-60, M
@SW-User I call 169, 196 and 961 anagrams. Lol :)

FloorGenAdm · 46-50, M

Radar notes are collectible when the serial number does that on paper money.
NankerPhelge · 56-60, M
@FloorGenAdm Radar. A palindrome. Did you mention that word deliberately? Lol :)
NankerPhelge · 56-60, M
@Graylight Why the puzzled look? You sound as if you've never thought of that before. Lol :)

Post Comment
100,000+ people following
Education & Learning
Personal Stories, Advice, and Support
New Post
Associated Groups Category Members