I Random

Is it normal for someone to be very particular about expensive brand items when they are not financially stable?
My friend just made fun of me for getting us both Red Lobster for dinner when she owes over $100k....馃
+ 2 13 replies 27 views Aug 1, 2020 |
clothos61-69, F Best Comment
I couldn't say normal unless it was normal for her circle of people - which would probably have to be either very rich or social climbers.

Some people believe they are the image they project. Or if they don't believe that, they still want others to believe it.
And for some people material status equates to "success" - the proof that they're okay, admirable, lovable, etc.
They display it ostentatiously with brand awareness: only a Mercedes or Rolls is acceptable, only Joy perfume, Armani trousers, truffle souffl茅 with a 2010 Margaret River white burgundy at Rae's on Wategos Beach (hire a jet to get there, book a private table so Paris Hilton won't see you.)

It doesn't work, of course. It's wrong-headed thinking in the extreme.
And it can be a symptom of narcissism, so it's worth being wary of it.

Alternatively, some rare people are gourmets. They are so particular about the quality of their food that they become increasingly fussy.
Ironically, considering how much they love food, the more difficult it is to find and acquire what they love, the less they will enjoy most of their food.
Foreverrunning22-25, F
Red lobster is good why is she making fun of you
[@1128806,Foreverrunning] right she started laughing at me and kept saying nvm when I asked why. I鈥檓 like, 鈥測ou鈥檙e welcome for the free food鈥.
Foreverrunning22-25, F
[@1117493,DecafD] well I鈥檒l always appreciate free seafood 馃槅
Ksmile14F
I'll have the shrimp scampi and cheddar biscuits please!!! 鉂わ笍

I dont care how rich or poor you are when someone gives you a gift you show appreciation. 馃槨
bourbon100+, M
I kinda like red lobster. its not the highest end stuff, but I wouldn't call it low end, either. she apparently doesn't appreciate your efforts, I'd stop trying
[@887863,bourbon] exactly- it鈥檚 not typical for people here to take out 5 star meals. She鈥檚 lucky I didn鈥檛 throw her some good ol鈥 Taco Bell! Lol
bourbon100+, M
[@1117493,DecafD] even taco bell. if its offered in friendship, and not something she can't or won't eat... double so that you're picking up the tab. not that she needs to feel beholden or obligated, but a smidgen of appreciation seems reasonable
Chevy45441-45, M
C鈥檓on. I mean cheddar bay biscuits!!!!!! Yummmmmmm!!!
[@1004204,Chevy454] Lol right!
Kindheartedguy41-45, M
People are really funny about money.

I had a friend (in his low 30's) tell me that he and his wife were millionaires because their income (combined) was $200,000 but he was paying $1,500 a month in car loans, had a $300,000 in mortgage and no savings.

He didn't like it when I explained "millionaire" meant having 1,000,000 in savings.
[@337992,Kindheartedguy] hahaha right! How are you a millionaire if you don鈥檛 own the assets that equate to a million? Where I鈥檓 from people are very materialistic and it鈥檚 such a huge turn off bc you鈥檒l never know if ppl genuinely like you for you or for the stuff you have.
clothos61-69, F
[@1117493,DecafD] Easy to tell the difference.
People who like you want to spend time in your company, and they never attempt to use you for material purposes.

I Random

Is it normal for someone to be very particular abo... | I Random | Similar Worlds