I Support Women's Rights

SO I learned a new word today.. slut walks.. lol there see i admit i dont know everything :P So I am trying to learn.. This came about following a discussion re two women's pics both using the word slut and the implication was that somehow th...
AlmightyLoad · 22-25
I do hate to burst that bubble but the wage gap is not a thing as they think it is
Adaydreambeliever · 51-55, F
PS in case you didn't know it the hate to burst your bubble was more than a little condescending.. I am sure you didn't mean it that way so i point it out so you can know better next time x
AlmightyLoad · 22-25
the wage gap is from total earning over lifetime. and women choose jobs that pay less and they work less hours than men that explains away the wage gap it is illegal to pay a women less if they did she could take them to court
Caroline259 · 51-55, F
@WaterSpirit: That's correct. Women tend to choose lower paid jobs. As you say, men and women doing the same job must be paid the same. In some cases, women earn more than their male partners.
yeronlyman · 46-50, M
Just read thanks

The pay gap exists, I don't think that's under dispute

Why it exists is usually blamed on "sexism"
But there are many many reasons and most are not related to inequality
Many blanket statements on the pay gap don't look at the nuances...

Secondly, there is no doubt that violence against women exists and it's abhorrent.

Truth is men are statistically more likely to suffer violence and violent death
Adaydreambeliever · 51-55, F
@yeronlyman: casual connections and ones that prove un-equal re jobs dont count.. they do NOT help the argument and weaken it.. so i am with you there.

aww isnt that a bit sexist re saying emotion is attached to the pay gap.. isnt that a way of dismissing it.. I have no emotion.. it's just a fact and proven.. it's not me saying it so i dont have to get emotional... I worry about you saying it lke that..using emotion to dismiss it.. that would be so detrimental.. like saying women who have been raped deserved it.. i knwo you wouldnt say that.. but it's the same dismissive language as if somehow it's in their imagination :(

Science re hormones have actually disproved that testosterone causes men to want to do better and have more ambition.. more and more the thinking is that it's conditioned and that this conditioning starts very early.. . as a girl in my generation we were taught men were better, stronger more important.. that our goal wasnt work but marriage... so we thought this... experiments where women are told they are rubbish at maths show they perform badly.. where they are told this is a skill women are good at they are good at it.. so much more than we used tothink is conditioned.. and this shows in that we now DO have more women maths and science graduates.. have women suddenly become better at maths? or is it that women are now offered more opportunities.. experiments where women have a lot of testosterone dont show them to be any different to their physical gender.. women and men can be equally ambitious.. do men who have low testosterone have less ambition?generally no.. so honestly more and more doors are opened to women.. and show that we are not as dissimilar as we think.. well not in terms of ambition.. for example.. andi dont pretend it's all encompassing..

when i first started work.. there was me and a guy same age.. on same section... we both worked hard.. HE was offered training and got sent one day a week to college.. I wasnt.. why? was i in some way less than him? No.. he just got a break i didnt cos he was a guy.. and in fact no women were offered the training.. he ended up ina top computing job.. i ended up washing dishes in a school kitchen.. not conclusive i knw but we were equal in terms of intelligence and hard working.. and ability.. things have improved a LOT since then but there is still a good deal of inequality..

I TRULY didn't say male victims of violence and death are less important than women.. in many ways you made it sexist.. i didnt.. I acknowledged it was true.. men are more likely to die of violence than women..there is no suggestion that regardless of whether its men harming men that doesnt mean they are less important.. just that it isnt sexism if it's mainly men committing violence against men.. it isnt an equality issue.. that doesnt change that it's lamentable.. I have two sons and i first read that statistic when they were 16-18... so i was very aware of that one.. I am not disagreeing with you it's lamentable but it has nothing to do with inequality.. and in fact perhaps things are changing there too..lots of girl gangs now behaving worse than men ever do so they say hurting each other.. so perhaps thats an equality you might welcome if you think it's unfair men are more likely to suffer violence?
yeronlyman · 46-50, M
It is NOT sexist about saying emotion is connected to it...

I never said the pay gap doesn't exist
I said the reasons for it are very nuanced

I pre-empted by saying stats / causal connections and confounding factors
And Relying on science not opinions based upon emotion

This applies to many arguments

To call it sexist is ridiculous
"Sexism" is [b]often[/b] used as a defence argument, especially when there is a lack of depth to understanding the facts

I dislike your comment about rape

As for your own experience
This is of experience value as a case study as an example case studies are important in medical literature
But is not a replacement for a random controlled trial

People will recall what suits their agenda or opinion and not recall the antithesis

Like you i have plenty of examples of observations from real life... both positive and negative

And again to defend my statements
I never made any sexist remarks
I said simply that by saying male victims are at the hands of male assilaiants is an illogical argument
Caroline259 · 51-55, F
@Adaydreambeliever: You said "everyone should be a feminist as it helps both men and women".

Feminism is seen as a campaign for equality for women. That's illogical. Eequality can't be one sided, it has to be for all.
Goralski · 51-55, M
Back in d kitchen with ya im hungry
Goralski · 51-55, M
@Adaydreambeliever: I can multitask
Adaydreambeliever · 51-55, F
@Goralski: lol and i can offer a deal.. I make a sandwich but you have to do something extra special for me.. see?
Goralski · 51-55, M
@Adaydreambeliever: does it involve eating

I Support Women's Rights
Updated: 1 yr ago
Beliefs Health

SO I learned a new word today.. slut walks.. lol t... | I Support Women's Rights | Similar Worlds