Health

Do we have the right to doctor shop?
Poll
Yes
No
Show Results
You may vote on multiple answers.
Congress is going to pass a measure to prevent "doctor shopping." they are doing it to "protect" us from doctor shopping and finding a doctor that will prescribe pain medication. It makes me angry.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/national/u-s-house-approves-measure-to-prevent-doctor-shopping/article_708906a2-9785-11e9-b017-279c2900bda1.html?fbclid=IwAR3LiVp2NpnHRClcVTWIFi5w2n3hs0EBCHg9wuPBA-k8BKbcoarYmqIkZGQ
2
|
76May · 46-50, F
*
Ill fight it. Not every doctor has a right to be one.
[@525925,76May] I can understand the dangers of narcotics but to lock people into a doctor is stupid. I have had several docs I have not got along nor would I trust. The government can NOT keep up with the demands of medical care. It moves too fast for a government formed to work slowly.
purplepen · 46-50, F
[@525925,76May] There is a rightful place for opioids so I hope they don't get totally banned. Some people need heavy pain relief for chronic conditions. Similar restrictions are happening in Canada, but it might be worse because some of the meds for seizures and PTSD, for example, have been reclassified as 'narcotics.'
76May · 46-50, F
[@658702,purplepen] that is my big complaint! We are on our way to zero pain relief due to anti-ooioid zealots. People in the pain community keep lists of people that have committed suicide because of doctors not prescribing pain medication that works.
Emortal · M
This gonna turn into a political debate. 🍿
76May · 46-50, F
[@492052,Emortal] The problem is with the opioid crisis, or "opioidhysteria" that is being acted upon by our congress. The problem lies with both parties.
Emortal · M
[@525925,76May] big pharma lobbies "take care" Congress.
Jackaloftheazuresand · 22-25, M
a right, no. Should you, I think so
curiosi · 56-60, F
There are things in place already to prevent people from being prescribed pain meds. Pharmacy's alert each other when a script is filed, and in some instances the patient must go to a pain clinic to be monitored. This is nothing more than to have control over the public.
76May · 46-50, F
[@423488,curiosi] Exactly. Prescribing is way down and people are dying more than ever due to heroin and illicit Fentanyl.
ShadowOfMyself · 26-30, M
I dont trust doctors, not the ones in america anyway. They get commission, i swear! I have even heard of prescription companies striking deals with hospitals to get more people on their meds, so both parties make more money. I teach myself human biology as well as alchemy (the herbal kind) so that i wont really have to go unless its something as serious as a broken bone, or ive been cut in half. I saved myself numerous hospital visits (thus a million dollars, probably) because i knew what was going on with my body and knew relatively cheap and natural ways to help it.
curiosi · 56-60, F
[@911048,ShadowOfMyself] This is true, big pharma owns doctors and the schools they attend! Teaching yourself herbs is very very wise.
ShadowOfMyself · 26-30, M
Damn near all the drugs they concoct are derived from plants anyway. They just fuck with it chemically [@423488,curiosi]
RoxClymer · 36-40, M
crazy, I am right there with you with pain meds
2 years ago I moved from a state that legalized
medical and recreational cannabis to a state that
barely legalizes CBD

one of the worst choices of my life
ShadowOfMyself · 26-30, M
They know how helpful that plant is. Thats why they are fighting so hard to keep it illegal. Dumb and sick citizens are far easier to control[@575075,RoxClymer]
quitwhendone · 46-50, M
I was under the impression that doctor shopping was getting an opioid prescription from one doctor and then going to another in the next few days to get another and then going to another doctor to get yet another prescription. Not shopping for which doctor you liked.
quitwhendone · 46-50, M
[@358142,greenmountaingal] What do you recommend for pain management in the dying?
greenmountaingal · 70-79, F
[@955094,quitwhendone] Pain management is now a medical specialty. It is available in most HMOs and PPOs and other insurance plans. I would seek help from that medical specialty if my regular doctor was not able or willing to accommodate me. In relation to the subject of this post, I would be against any sort of legal change that makes it harder to find appropriate and effective medical management for pain.
quitwhendone · 46-50, M
[@358142,greenmountaingal] Yes, I know that about pain management but those specialist still use opioids in conjuction with other drugs.
Platoscave · F
Medical fascism will increase unless regular people insist on something better. Like Single Payer
Yes, we have an absolute right, for whatever reason. I considered changing doctors because mine refused to okay more glucose strips when my plan changed, telling me to cut down on testing from twice to once daily. The reason she thought it was okay is because I’ve lowered my a1c considerably since my diabetes was diagnosed 3 years ago.
Problem is, I’ve only been able to lower it [b]because[/b] I’ve been vigilant about testing. It worked out though when she left the practice.
But sometimes people don’t get along with or are uncomfortable with the doctors chosen for them. Some doctors are closed about certain procedures that might otherwise be a valid medical option. Patients should be able to choose.

Health

Do we have the right to doctor shop? | Health | Similar Worlds