I Will Wear a Poppy On Remembrance Day

I wore my poppy today. In school year 6 did a service for remembrance. They are younger kids. Ages 10 and 11. I went. It was nearly an hour. Their parents had come and the minister. They sang songs and read poems and we all sang hymns and prayed. And we saw a film that reminded me of Watership Down. The rabbits came into the fields and geese flew overhead but they turned into planes and soon there was gunfire and the sky was lit up by rocket fire and people died and after the poppies grew where there had been bloodshed and mud. And I cried. And although I’m just a Year 13 student, I teach little groups of younger children Maths and one of the boys said, Miss were you crying? They call us Miss even though we’re just students like them. And he said it so nicely. And I said yes. But I saw one of the Year 6 boys on the stage crying too. And outside my classroom there are two display cases. One for each war. They show the names of every person from my village who was killed. Their addresses. Same addresses as we live now. And where they were killed. France, Africa, all over. We just walk past them mostly. But today we stopped and read them. We must never forget. The minister reminded us that though we can walk home safely tonight, the boys and girls in Syria can’t.
Will it end. Can people ever put aside their differences and look after each other? My government tries to keep people out! Why? The people who run my country came from overseas years ago themselves. I’m sorry. I’m about to go on and on. And you don’t want to hear it!
9
|
Adaydreambeliever · 51-55, F
Loss of life, especially young life in war is never something that we should just forget.. It is very moving to remember.
BlodynHafJones · 18-21, F
Today was so moving. I’m glad we have Remembrance Day still even though only the very old people remember being at war. I still haven’t quite got over it. I know life here could have been very different if they hadn’t died. [@7167,Adaydreambeliever]
JAYS21 · 51-55, M
Always wear your poppy at 11 o'clock position on your chest.the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month
BlodynHafJones · 18-21, F
I intend to keep 2 minutes silence at college on Monday. My poppy is worn in a button hole in my cardigan and as it happens it is at the 11 o’clock position but I had never thought of it like that. College does have a service but my college has 5 campuses and where the service is held is in Llanelli and my campus is in Carmarthen and I can’t get there. So I was glad to go today in school. And stand and remember.
JAYS21 · 51-55, M
[@1013856,BlodynHafJones] The red is for the blood she, the black is for the deaths, the green is for the fields upon which they died and the poppy is the fields of Flanders and many more
BlodynHafJones · 18-21, F
We heard today the poem about Flanders Fields by John MacKenzie. Did I spell his name right? I have seen poppies grow beside a new road and the banks are mud. The poppy springs up. [@991775,JAYS21]
Quimliqer · 61-69, M
As we thank those who gave their ultimate that we would live in peace, we must think of those that seek safe haven.
BlodynHafJones · 18-21, F
I love your words. I view my life as a journey across the ocean. There are storms. There are days of calm. But at the end my desired haven is to be in heaven. [@397227,Quimliqer]
SirfurryanimalWales · 61-69, M
Don’t forget Donbas either.You would think that in the 21st century man would not be waging war on his fellow man.But it is good to remember.
BlodynHafJones · 18-21, F
I haven’t forgotten. They didn’t. Well they didn’t. It’s too close to me. [@356742,SirfurryanimalWales]

I Will Wear a Poppy On Remembrance Day
Categories: Politics

I wore my poppy today. In school year 6 did a serv... | I Will Wear a Poppy On Remembrance Day | Similar Worlds