I Find It Interesting

This makes me wonder about the quality of movies and if it's done on purpose by Hollywood.

Did you know that David Ellison, a financier at Paramount wanted the movie Annihilation to be changed because it received a poor test screening due to the film being "too intellectual." Producer Scott Rudin sided with Alex Garland (person who wrote and directed the film) in not altering the film in any way. I learned that fact on IMDB the film site where you can make lists and all that, I didn't know that before. Makes me want to actually read the book, the original author, Jeff VanderMeer makes some other good novels anyways.

I actually thought the movie was really decent but now that I know the masses are too stupid to get it, makes me want to buy the book lol.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0]
TheProblemChild · 22-25, M
It certainly wouldn't surprise me if Hollywood dismissed various film projects for being "too intellectual" given the simplistic, formulaic nature of their highest-grossing pictures. It is, after all, a business. I know that it's [i]practical [/i]for a director to make a film "for the masses" but it's fortunate that in this case the movie wasn't altered for mass appeal (and I've always been an "art for art's sake" person). Test screenings aren't a guarantee of how a movie will be received anyway. Sometimes the best films are independently produced, though!
CULTure · 31-35, F
[@1219150,TheProblemChild] It just makes me wonder how many decent movies I may have missed. I honestly more blame the masses than the production companies itself and also makes me wonder as to what exactly is "too intellectual." It's highly odd and kind of aggravating.
TheProblemChild · 22-25, M
[@394395,CULTure] I too would like to hear a definition of "too intellectual". That label has been appended to other forms of art that later went on to enjoy great appeal. "Too radical" is another. So much classical music was dismissed with labels like that and didn't become well-known until years after the composer's death.
pianoplayingsteve · 26-30, M
You haven’t yet realised the deliberate attempt to dumb down the population and how it has been very successful already?

I Find It Interesting