I 60's Canings

At my grammar school, if a boy was caned, a notice would be placed on the notice board outside the headmaster's study: "M Smith has been beaten for smoking" or whatever.
5
|
CryingCalliope · 22-25, F
How often was your name up there?
MartinII · 61-69, M
I was never caned. Probaby only about 10 per cent of boys ever got it.
CryingCalliope · 22-25, F
Wished I had been at school when the cane was in use. I would probably have got it every week. But as I'm 20 I missed that completely.
Sharon · F
That was unnecessarily cruel. When I was at school we just got caned, there was no public announcement.
Sharon · F
Being rarer would make it more embarrassing for the boy who was caned. At my school, I doubt anyone would have taken much notice of the announcement as it was such a common event.
jackcros · 70-79, M
@Sharon: posting notices of who had been beaten at my school would have been a full time job!
Sharon · F
@jackcros: It would have been at my school too.
ArishMell · 61-69, M
It was rare at my school (local-authority grammar, mixed, mid-1960s) and discreet, so if word went round it was by the recipient and play-ground gossip. I heard of no more than about 3 or 4 canings in the 7 years I was there. There may have been more but not to my knowledge. If it was a deterrent, it was by unspoken threat!
MartinII · 61-69, M
[@519706,ArishMell] It was more frequent than that at my school - maybe one or two canings a week. Still relatively rare in a school of 800 boys.

I 60's Canings
Updated: 1 yr ago

At my grammar school, if a boy was caned, a notice... | I 60's Canings | Similar Worlds