I Am a Pacifist

I remember visiting Brighton beach with mum and so often we would see grandad there. He practically lived on that beach after the war. Mum said it was a sort of therapy for him. Usually, if I ran up to him and yelled "Grandad" he would sp...
LesDeplorable · 41-45, M
That's a beautiful story . Very nice !!
Lovely words. My grandad wouldn't talk about the war either.

A true gentleman he was.
Mugin16 · 41-45, M
You might learn a bit about what your grandfather might have experienced in the war by watching the documentary "The War" by Ken Burns. It tells the story of WWII from the perspective from soldiers, airmen and sailors from four American cities. It is incredibly moving and has a very powerful impact.

PS I agree with your stance regarding that "ideology" and your point about not wanting your sons to die in stupid wars our politicians start (Bush, Blair, Cameron, Sarkozy and Clinton).
NewBecky · 51-55, F
Thank you. Perhaps I will watch it if I have the opportunity.
Robert · 61-69, M
Brighton can be lovely. But the nude beach is a bit stony. As you rightly comment its getting a bit brisk for skin exposure right now. As to pacifism, I still believe Blair, Bush etc deserve to be charge with war crimes over Iraq.
Alphie · 31-35, M
Pacifists wants peace, but don't want to do what is necessary to keep peace. War is evil, but there will always be people in control of military forces that wants to conquer others. Should the rest of the world have abandoned our forces in name of pacifists as Hitler goose stepped his way across Europe? Talking to him that this shits doesn't fly? The prior prime minister of the UK, before Churchill, did that. He came home with a written declaration of peace, months before Hitler invaded Poland.
Alphie · 31-35, M
@sailnude: Indeed, there are many heroes of that time. Including those who sacrificed themselves to help others. People, in general to things for goodness towards others, and I am not disrespecting those who saved others without ever shooting a gun. What is so horrible about war, is that it requires unbelievably much destruction to end one. However, a nation of pacifists will end us all killed.
NewBecky · 51-55, F
My grandad would have agreed with you. I only fear for my sons. Perhaps I am thinking with my heart instead of my head. I don't know. Thank you for the lovely chat.
Alphie · 31-35, M
@sailnude: It was a lovely and wonderful conversation we've had. Thank you, and stay safe.
LTKISS · 51-55, M
I so agree with this. That is what Christ told the soldiers. There should be no war.
Beachlover · M
That is beautiful and how a lot of Vets are, and there are strong convictions in your words and you should be proud of who you are and your beliefs.

I Am a Pacifist

I remember visiting Brighton beach with mum and so... | I Am a Pacifist | Similar Worlds