I Like to Collect Quotes

Umberto Eco on socialmedia:

“Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community. Then they were quickly silenced, but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It’s the invasion of the idiots.”
10
|
AcidBurn · F
They always had the right, just not the platform.
firefall · 61-69, M
And thus Eco shows his own arse - as though Nobel Prize winners had any sort of claim on anything beyond a very narrow specialisation.

Of course, given the utter drivel Eco has mostly written, I shouldn't be surprised by this.
Mikemcneil · 56-60, M
Everyone is entitled to express their opinions. Doesn't mean you have to listen or take notice.
Mikemcneil · 56-60, M
[@659884,LadyJedi] but they can't force viewers to watch or take notice can they? Would you watch something vile just because it was on a channel you'd previously found interesting and enjoyable?
LadyJedi · 41-45, F
[@628202,Mikemcneil] no.. but now they have that opportunity and get to think these opinions are legit... after all this somehwat famous guy on youtube says it too
Mikemcneil · 56-60, M
I'm thinking the Logan brothers.
GeniUs · 51-55, M
Who are the people who write messages then delete them? If you have to remove it afterwards surely it shouldn't have been written in the first place...

I Like to Collect Quotes
Categories: Hobbies, Movies and TV, Writings

Umberto Eco on socialmedia: “Social media gives l... | I Like to Collect Quotes | Similar Worlds