As of today, I've queried 33 literary agents....

With my newest project.

I gave up on my last manuscript, after querying 200 agents. Now I've started this one.

With the last manuscript, a few agents liked my writing but couldn't relate to the story and/or didn't find it engaging enough.

I know people have suggested self-publishing. I'll likely try it at some point. But I want to keep trying for traditional publishing, at least until I've hit rock bottom with querying. I like the challenge and working my way up.
LucyFuhr · 51-55, F
Just outta curiosity, have you taken any classes or tried to find a writing "mentor". That would do you a lot of good. You'd be surprised how open some established writers/authors, are to that sort of thing.
If you're into the mentor thing, feel free to PM and I'll elaborate for you; I've actually done that myself.
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@8345,LucyFuhr] I've taken a couple classes. Last year I hired an editor for my book (the one I queried last year)... So I learned a bit from that :) Aww, I'll think about that actually :) I appreciate that!!
Penny · F
ive read that one way to attract a publisher or agent is to get short pieces published in literary magazines. i guess its easier to get that done, and it shows agents or publishers that there's interest in your work already. that's from reading Stephen King's[u] On Writing[/u] book.
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@533101,Penny] I've been meaning to read that 😯 So I'm gonna give it a go!
Alex Haley was rejected over 400 times for [i]Roots[/i] before getting published. Don't give up. Fight for your dream. I know it is hard but you can do it.
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@573519,Valdaine] Thank you, I'll keep going for it 💛
RogueLoner · M
All it takes is ONE! That publisher is out there. 🙂
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@609293,RogueLoner] I hope!
Holy holes that is a loooootttttt! One cant fault you for trying. You will get published from sheer determination alone!
[@381079,JupiterDreams] Dedicate it to meeeee😵
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@406636,causernamebemyusername] Haha it's already dedicated to someone else actually 🤣 Maybe my next book!!
[@381079,JupiterDreams] My dedication is probably a self help book🥴
Harmonium1923 · 51-55, M
What type of writing? Fiction?
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@372263,Harmonium1923] I'll take it :)
Harmonium1923 · 51-55, M
[@381079,JupiterDreams] It's actually similar to what [@533101,Penny] said. Literary agents are very fussy and focused on books that they think will be easy sales to publishers. It's VERY hard to get an agent interested for a first book with no track record. I think they key is to get your name in print (ideally, actual print rather than just online). I'd look for literary or general interest magazines that specifically target the audience you think would like your stories. Like teens, romance, fantasy, etc. (In my case it was light verse, baseball, history, economics...but I'm kind of boring). Many of these publications will be desperately trying to find enough content each month and will be happy for unsolicited submissions. Once you've gotten a few stories in print, I think that will help immensely in getting an agent or a publisher interested in something bigger. Good luck!
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@372263,Harmonium1923] Oooo thank you 😯 I appreciate that
Love your effort .... and your passion!!!!

It is good to see
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@6757,questionWeaver] Aww, thank you ☺️
Northwest · M
Were you ever published?
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@9416,Northwest] Nooo, I've never been published
Northwest · M
[@381079,JupiterDreams] You should look into Amazon Publishing. If you want a literary agent, as a first timer, you need a completely detailed book outline and a lot of patience. It helps if you know someone in the publishing business.
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@9416,Northwest] Trueee
You should write about a boy and his dog.
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@760047,MarmeeMarch] Lol I'll think about it
DunningKruger · 56-60, M
Something to remember: https://writingforaliving.us/the-most-comprehensive-collection-of-famous-books-rejected-by-publishers/
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@10617,DunningKruger] Thank you ☺️ <3
Lostpoet · 31-35, M
i wanna read it😠
JupiterDreams · 26-30
[@780464,Lostpoet] Not while it's out being queried haha

I Write