Email or Username

I Don't Care What Others Think of Me

In today's world there seems to be a growing sentiment that somehow a person should not care about what others think of them. It seems to be a statement of independence and self-reliance. This is especially true in younger generations.
The problem I have with that attitude is it does not acknowledge the "group" rules of our ever increasing density of people.
Our world is increasingly populated, people from rural areas moving into cities etc. This is happening all over the world. It dictates that we have some group rules for all to live by. The other choice is anarchy.
I think this attitude is often taken to an extreme where it becomes rude and even offensive.
It is one thing to say, "I don't care what you think of me, but I'm not hurting anyone else with my actions." Another thing to act in a way that disregards the impact on others and then use the line as an excuse for bad behavior.
I'm 59 years old. I've seen the world change a lot in my years on this planet. This attitude of independence at the expense of an ordered society scares me.
Robyn
|
ravenwind43 · 41-45, F
Group rules are called "laws" and some people live by them and live by them willingly. Others skirt around and further still others are allowed to pretend they don't exist due to political correctness.
I would say most people adhere to an inward sense of moral or, at the very least a polite law. That is how it should be. Yet independence must be at the core of any person. Without a sense of independence all other freedoms are in jeopardy. A ordered society where we are "forced" to abide by "global laws" based on feelings terrifies me. Fascism and communism is the same paint but different brushstrokes:)
GarySmith · 18-21, M
I think not caring what people think is a bad thing and probably why society has become so unproductive and weak.
robyn56 · 61-69, M
Understood Ravenwind43. I'm not talking about the legality of laws. I'm talking about those who are rudely acting in a manner offensive to others while claiming they are somehow justified because they "don't care what others think of them". They seem to feel this is a valid argument. It isn't. It is rude and being rude is not o.k. in virtually all circumstances.

I Don't Care What Others Think of Me
Categories: Emotional Health, Empowerment, Health

In today's world there seems to be a growing ... | I Don't Care What Others Think of Me | Similar Worlds