I Love My Grandchildren

3 days ago I could write this, not today. Mom, Dad and this amazing little girl have left for home. She stole my heart and today feels quite empty. 馃檨. Praying she will have an awesome spring and very proud of her parents.

For 10 days, I was her world. She raised her arms to be held, nestled her curly blonde head against mine, looked to see my laugh before letting loose with hers. She transported me back in time, 30 years ago. I was young, relevant, protector, best friend and Chief reader of books. I have been so blessed.

Mom and Dad are safely back and I have been put back in my proper role. 馃檪. She will now see me as the one who spoils her, dotes on her and is present. That too is a blessing.

Sunday she returns to her home in Oklahoma and I become the visiting grandpa and the grandpa she loves to visit. I will be something different, a change of pace. Also a blessing.

But today, surrounded by this little tornado, blessed by her in every way, I find my spirit melancholy. I love my age, but I miss 30 years ago more than I thought I ever would. Of course I am choosing to relive only the best moments, but even so, my heart is heavy.

Ah, time. You are a persistent jerk. Tomorrow, I will battle you with exercise, passion and of course memories and ultimately you too will pass.
iamnikki26-30, F
I don't have grandkids obviously, or kids but I do have neices. The youngest is 4. I miss her wanting to be picked up and literally shadowing me while I walk around the house
trackman1156-60, M
[@467302,iamnikki] 4 is a great age. My granddaughter is 18 months, but my other son has a 4 yr old. Their minds grow rapidly around 4, right? Seems like every day is a new journey. 馃檪

Enjoy your nieces Nikki.
iamnikki26-30, F
[@701587,trackman11] She's actually 3, i get their ages mixed up. I can barely understand what she says . And she follows after her 6 yr old sister so she's hard to keep up with and have a 'conversation' with lol
trackman1156-60, M
[@467302,iamnikki] lol. Good luck with that. Sounds like you have some 鈥渟peedy鈥 talkers.
:) This is so sweet . I hope I can have a grandchild one day.
trackman1156-60, M
[@1056685,Curcubeu] I鈥檓 sure you will, but don鈥檛 rush time. 馃檪
:)[@701587,trackman11]
I love this story.... it melted my heart...

God bless your family....
trackman1156-60, M
[@1067,Soossie] quiet house this morning. Thank you. 馃檪
BlueRain51-55, F
Very deep. Thank you.
trackman1156-60, M
[@468906,BlueRain] it would have been wrong to not pick her parents up at the airport, right? Lol
BlueRain51-55, F
[@701587,trackman11] it鈥檚 so nice you did.
Echoing61-69, F
A warming and lovely post! 馃挒 Thanks for sharing.
MoonpennyF
Aww, that's so lovely. Embrace your changing role. You can pick the good bits now and be her hero 馃槃

I Love My Grandchildren