I Am a Engineering Student

Better to lift mast from end, or from middle?

A boat mast needs to be lifted. One end is mounted on the deck already, so we just need to lift the mast. We can attach a rope to the far end, or to the middle of the mast. Which way is smarter? Which way is easier? Which way puts less strain on the rope and lifters?
alongalone · M
I helped put a ship on course but no nothing of sailing. Wanted to waterski but never have
checkoutanytime · 41-45, M
A straight nautical gives mild resistance, nearly a still water?

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxjCMxrEMV0]
Bushranger · 61-69, M
I'd rig to the top of the mast, greater mechanical advantage than lifting in the middle.
[@764286,Bushranger] But doesn't all the weight sit on the mast as it lifts, potentially bending it?
Bushranger · 61-69, M
[@2440,UreBesFrend] The same would happen lifting in the middle. Plus, the mast should be able to at least support its own weight, especially if it's going to propel the boat.
If you are using a crane ... attach 3/4 up

If you are pulling it up manually ... attach in the center ... you will stress everything out less

I even doubt the mast could be pulled from top ... the angle is not favorable
MethDozer · M
You walk it up with a few other guys while a few others steady it with a rope on the other side.

I Am a Engineering Student
Education