How hard are sewing machines?

I've hand-sewn things but it's been 30 years since I touched a sewing machine. Is it worth trying to do it myself or should I pay someone?
Easy.. I have an industrial one I use to make canvas bags for the 4wd and for covers for my machinery.
TheSunisout56-60, M
I do all of my alterations with a sewing machine, just practice a bit on
a piece of waste material 馃憤
Sazzio31-35, M
No it's worth trying. Simply purchase about 2 meter in length of material (cheap in market) and have a go on them, before trying your own clothing/ material.
It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you only need a functional seam on a basic cotton fabric and don't care much for aesthetics then it's easy. If you need something more refined where you need overlock or coverlock it seems much more difficult. I only tried firm cotton fabrics so far and learned it right away. Leather or elastic fabrics look quite complicated though.
SweetthingF
Sewing machines aren鈥檛 hard to use, depends how much you need to use it to make it worth your while to invest in one.
FaeLuna26-30, F
I'll put it to you this way - with a couple of YouTube tutorials and reading the instruction manual on the sewing machine, I was able to figure it out with no prior sewing experience. It's pretty easy!
smileylovesgaming26-30, F
Oh it is easy to learn.
JaggedLittlePill41-45, F
Pay someone. I have tried and maybe I just don't have the patience. 馃ぃ
Kindheartedguy46-50, M
[@1845,JaggedLittlePill] I did it! Most of it anyway. I got 90% done and had to get online for D&D with friends. My wife finished it and told me my problems at the end were because the bobbin was nearly empty.

It's not that bad but I wasn't working on anything fancy like clothes.
Kindheartedguy46-50, M
Thanks to those who gave me confidence. It was successful. (I only needed help a few times)