Recently unearthed in Pompeii

These bodies are believed to be a wealthy man and his slave.

Vesuvius treated them in quite an egalitarian manner.

REMsleep · 41-45, F
Love Pompeii. Can't wait to go one day. About 8-9 months ago near there they unearthed a new looking very colorful hardly damaged tile floor.
Unreal
DrWatson · 61-69, M
[@867436,REMsleep] I've been reading a book, "Scribblers, Sculptors, and Scribes", which contains, among other things, many of the graffiti from Pompeii. It makes that community come alive for me, and it thus makes the sudden death of everyone seem really tragic.
Brickbybrick · 26-30, F
[@338282,DrWatson] Oh. I didn't read the last line before. Yes.
Brickbybrick · 26-30, F
This kinda stuff depresses me.
REMsleep · 41-45, F
[@1089099,stonesandripples] It dosen't depress me but I get it. They were living life just like us. Buying, loving, selling, creating and now they are all gone. So suddenly and we don't know who they were for the most part.
We are just like them
DrWatson · 61-69, M
[@1089099,stonesandripples] I understand! Read my reply to REMsleep.
Brickbybrick · 26-30, F
[@867436,REMsleep] Precisely.
Peppa · 26-30, F
Your the second person to have posted this or you've posted this the second time... Why?
DrWatson · 61-69, M
[@305137,Peppa] I did not realize someone else posted about it.

The picture just struck me as a powerful statement about how our relative status in life means nothing in the end. Thus, it reminds me of the biblical message to focus on spiritual things, to amass wealth in heaven, rather than on earth.
Peppa · 26-30, F
[@338282,DrWatson] I get that but also its a sad reminder that money and power can allow you to hold someone else's life in the palm of your hand
DrWatson · 61-69, M
[@305137,Peppa] I understand how we bring different life experiences to this photo. I see it as a reprimand to slave owners. You see it as a reminder that slave owners have existed in the first place. I get that.
Emortal · M
Can you tell who was rich?
Someone else posted this and a member launched into a rant about how could anyone know it was a slave...🤔
Julien · 31-35, M
Everybody was Kong-fu fighting 🎶
Piper · 61-69, F
I do know, that the evidence of slavery there is about undisputed. I agree that the image is a powerful reminder of how little money and power matter...in the end.